- Profile of a financial risk analyst
- Profile of a risk manager
- The Institute of Risk Management
- Professional Risk Managers International Association
- The International Credit insurance and Surety Organisation gives background information
- TARGET jobs article on careers in risk assessment
- Political Risk Analysis
- St Andrews University Resources and links for all aspects of a career in risk.
- Links from the ICAEW
“Risk” is a broad area, covering health and safety, security, natural disasters, information technology and systems, political, environmental and social risk and many specialised scientific, technical and engineering fields. The work of analysing potential risks, working to prevent them and developing strategies for managing them should the worst occur is often very international.
These pages focus on business-related risks, in particular financial, political and information risks. The most common job titles within these fields are risk manager and risk analyst but there are many others such as risk assessor, risk auditor and risk strategist.
Most employers offering graduate opportunities in this field are in the finance sector (insurance, accountancy and banking) but do not always require a finance-related degree. Many of these opportunities are open to graduates in any subject although quantitative risk analysis requires a strong numerate background. As political issues, conflict and other international relations issues can have a major impact on these organisations and their clients, politics and international relations can be a particularly useful background.
This is an area of growing importance, particularly in finance, as many large organisations are seeking to minimise risk from political events, currency fluctuations, stock markets, terrorist events etc. Actuarial skills are often of value here.
- Discover Risk (Chartered Insurance Institute)
- Aon – Global Risk Consulting
- Jardine Lloyd Thompson include Credit and Political Risks
- Lloyds of London
- Willis Group
- University of Kent resources I want to work in Insurance
- CICS advice and recruiters in Cyber security
Deloitte Cyber risk technical graduate programme
- Lombard Risk global regulatory compliance and collateral management solution firm for financial organisations, headquartered in London. A number of new graduates have started their careers in risk, law, management sectors with Lombard Risk.
- Control Risks Group Cyber risk
- The Risks Advisory Group political risk roles
- Risk Management Solutions provider of analytics and decision science solutions for the quantification and management of catastrophic risks throughout the world. Has a graduate training scheme
- LexisNexis Risk Solutions harnessing the power of data to enable clients to make better decisions
- Maplecroft “the world’s leading global risk analytics and forecasting company” graduate opportunity and internships in the UK and globally
Find out more
Other Professional Services
- British Expertise directory of member consultancies which can be searched by keyword