at our Open Days
I want to work in Journalism and Writing
Web Content Manager
Web content managers are responsible for maintaining, developing and checking the content of a website.
Advertising Copywriters work with client briefs to devise, develop and produce advertising campaigns. They work alongside Art Directors and creative departments in advertising or media agencies.
- Job profile of an Advertising Copywriter on the Target Jobs website
- Job profile of an Advertising Copywriter on the Creativepool website
- Job profile of an Advertising Copywriter on the Prospects website
Broadcast Journalists research, compile and present news items for television, radio and the internet. Duties and responsibilities vary depending on the media in which the Broadcast Journalist works.
- Job profile of a Broadcast Journalist on the Creativepool website
- Job profile of a Broadcast Journalist on the All About Careers website
- Job profile of a Broadcast Journalist on the Prospects website
Broadcast Presenters are the public face or voice of programmes on television, radio or the internet. They present news information in an accessible and appropriate way for the tone of the programme.
- Job profile of a Broadcasting Presenter on the All About Careers website
- Job profile of a Broadcasting Presenter on the Target Jobs website
- Job profile of a Broadcast Presenter on the Prospects website
Digital Copywriters produce the written content and copy for webpages. Working with clients their job is to engage the reader to encourage them to buy products and services.
- Job profile of a Copywriter on the Creativepool website
- Job profile of a Digital Copywriter on the Prospects website
Editorial Assistants provide support through all stages of publication for books, journals, magazines, websites and newsletters. This role supports senior editorial staff in all areas of the publication process.
- Job profile of an Editorial Assistant on the Target Jobs website
- Job profile of an Editorial Assistant on the National Careers Service
- Job profile of an Editorial Assistant on the Prospects website
Lexicographers write dictionaries.
Magazine Features Editor
Magazine Features Editors are responsible for the substantial articles and reports in print magazines and online publications.
- Job profile of a Magazine Features Editor on the Target Jobs website
- Job profile of a Magazine Features Editor on the All About Careers website
- Job profile of a Magazine Features Editor on the Prospects website
Magazine Journalists research, interview and write news articles and features for publications including consumer titles, customer magazines and trade publications.
- Job profile of a Staff Writer/Magazine Journalist on the Jobs.ac.uk website
- Job profile of a Magazine Journalist on the Target Jobs website
- Job profile of a Magazine Journalist on the Prospects website
Newspaper Journalists gather information, research and write articles on various topics for inclusion in newspapers. This could be local, regional or national press.
- Job profile of a Newspaper Journalist on the All About Careers website
- Job profile of a Newspaper Journalist on the Prospects website
A Press Photographer takes photographs to record events and lifestyle stories using the best images to support the printed word.
- Job profile of a Press Photographer on the Target Jobs website
- Job profile of a Press Photographer on the Prospects website
Programme Researchers work with the Producer and Production team. They can be involved with contributing ideas, sourcing contacts and verifying information.
- Job profile of a Programme Researcher on the All About Careers website
- Job profile of a Researcher on the Creative Skillset website
- Job profile of a Programme Researcher on the Prospects website
Public Relations Officer
PR officers use a variety of media and communication channels to build, maintain and manage the reputation of their clients.
- Job profile of a Public Relations Officer on the National Careers Service website
- Job profile of a Public Relations Officer from the TARGET Jobs website
- Job profile of a Public Relations Officer from the Prospects website
- I want to work in Public Relations
Press Sub-Editors are responsible for checking the written text of publications. They are concerned with grammar, spelling and the tone and style of the work.
- “What do subeditors do?” on the Guardian website
- Job profile of a Sub-Editor on the National Careers Service website
- Job profile of a Press Sub-Editor on the Prospects website
Publishing Copy-Editors or Proofreaders work across a range of publications. They are concerned with the clarity, quality and consistency of the writing as well as ensuring that it is credible and complete.
- Job profile of a Publishing Proofreader on the Creativepool website
- Job profile of a Publishing Copy-Editor on the Creativepool website
- Job profile of a Publishing Copy-Editor/Proofreader on the Prospects website
- I want to work in Publishing
Radio Broadcast Assistant
Radio Broadcast Assistants support Programme Producers and Presenters to ensure the smooth running of the show. They can be involved in planning, researching, producing and administrating radio programmes.
- Job profile of a Radio Broadcast Assistant on the Prospects website
- Job profile of a Radio Broadcast Assistant on the Creative Skillset website
- Job profile of a Radio Broadcast Assistant on the National Careers Service website
Radio Producers are involved in the entire process of radio programme productions, from conception through to production as well as in the commercial and business management aspects.
- Job profile of a Radio Producer on the Prospects website
- Job profile of a Radio Producer on the Creative Skillset website
- Job profile of a Radio Producer on the All About Careers website
Science Writers write about scientific news.
- Job profile of a Science Writer on the Prospects website
- Job profile of a Science Writer on the All About Careers website
A Technical Writer communicates technical information about products and services in an accessible way. This could be for instruction manuals, user guides, training guides or online instructions.
- Arts Council
- Arts Hub - lists creative jobs, including jobs in writing and publishing.
- BBC writers room - Writing opportunities for TV, radio and film.
- National Association of Writers in Education
- Screen Daily - advertises jobs in film, including writing roles
- Soho Theatre - provides opportunities for new writers to develop their skills.
- The Stage - advertises jobs in theatre, including writing roles
- 4Talent - Opportunities with Channel 4
- Archant - a media company with over 140 brands.
- Broadcast Journalism Training Council
- Channel 4
- Channel 5
- DMGT - manages dmg media which includes publications like the Daily Mail and the Metro.
- Gorkana Jobs - specialises in Journalism and PR roles.
- Guardian News and Media
- Hold the Front Page - specialises in Journalism and PR roles. The site also has further resources and news for the industry.
- Immediate Media - includes the Radio Times in its portfolio.
- ITV News Traineeship
- Johnston Press PLC - includes brands like The Scotsman and i.
- Journalism.co.uk - has information about vacancies, courses and resources for freelancers.
- KM Media Group - is a Kent and Medway based company with local newspaper, radio and television brands. KMTV is delivered in partnership with the University of Kent.
- media.info - provides British media contacts.
- National Council for the Training of Journalists
- News UK - includes the Sun, the Times and the Sunday Times
- PA (Press Association)
- Press Gazette - has a jobs page in addition to industry news and information.
- Response Source - is a job site for media people.
- SourceThatJob - media specific job board. Jobs for journalists, PR professionals, advertising people, web designers and marketers.
- Trinity Mirror plc - is a regional and national news provider including the Daily Mirror.
Find out more
Useful websites - journalism
- Broadcast Journalism Training Council
- Community Media Association
- Data Driven Journalism - is a hub for industry professionals who use data in the service of journalism
- Greatreporter.com - showcases and syndicates the work of professional reporters and photographers, worldwide.
- Journalist’s Resource - is an open-access site that curates scholarly studies and reports
- Journo Resources - is a non-profit organisation dedicated to helping young people break into the media industry by providing a free set of tools and resources.
- National Council for the Training of Journalists
- National Union of Journalists (NUJ) - has a variety of resources available to members.
- News Media Association - represent the interests of the industry. They have various news and information on current issues.
- The Ethical Journalism Initiative - works to promote diversity and inclusivity in the media.
- Women in Journalism - is for networking, campaigning, training and social organisation
Useful websites – writing (including tips on getting published)
- British Guild of Travel Writers - contains practical advice and links.
- Explore Writing - provides resources for aspiring writers.
- Scottish Book Trust - Information on getting published and links to other organisations that support writers.
- Travelwriters UK - is a professional travel journalists’ association
- Wanderlust Travel Magazine
- Writers & Artists - provides industry information and resources for writers and artists including information on how to get published
- The Writers’ Union - represents professional writers
- Writer Services - advice and information for writers, including list of agents.
Visit the Centre for Journalism webpage as well as the Centre's page on the University of Kent's website
Prospects has information on postgraduate creative writing courses
- Amazon self-publishing. You can also find information in this Guardian article. It is from 2012 but still contains some relevant information. More up-to-date information on self-publishing can be found on Publishers Weekly
- Blog from self-publishing children’s writer Karen Inglis - this talks through self-publishing options, ISBNs, tax and marketing.
- Lulu is an online self-publishing company
- Smashwords is an ebooks publisher