You will find opportunities with employers in many different sectors, including food, manufacturing, energy, health and medical, the government, scientific research organisation, transport, oil and gas, renewables & nuclear.
Industries that rely on a degree in chemistry could include:
- Perfumes and Cosmetics
- Textiles and dyes
- Bio Materials
A degree in chemistry could lead you to a graduate career in some of the following areas:
- Analytical chemistry: analyse chemicals and investigate their properties to develop new products and treatments. (This could be in the Food utilities and Cosmetics industry)
- Chemoinformatics: combine chemical expertise with informatics techniques to assess large quantities of information and address chemical issues.
- Forensic science: investigate crime scenes and analyse samples.
- Materials research: conduct technical investigations into the characteristics of various materials.
- Pharmaceuticals: manufacture, develop and research new pharmaceutical products.
- Scientific research- Science graduates will usually specialise in a specific area; they may be undertaking fundamental health research, developing IT technologies, refining manufacturing processes, or innovating solutions. There is a broad range of possibilities.
- Agricultural Chemist - Agricultural chemists, also called agrochemists, collect and analyse samples for nutrient levels as well as levels of pesticides, heavy metals, and toxins
- Chemical Engineer
- Chemistry Teacher
The Royal Society of Chemistry have put together a really useful resource.
Alternative graduate careers for scientists
You will also find opportunities with employers in many different sectors, including the food and drink industry, utilities and research, health and medical organisations, the government and scientific research organisations and agencies, Patent Law, Scientific publishing and health and safety.
Careers related to the numeracy, analytical, and problem solving skills of chemistry graduates include:
- Investment Banking
- Civil Service
- Management Consultancy
Please use our career guides to identify some of these opportunities.
- Johnson Matthey
- GE UK
- Morgan Advanced Materials
- James Fisher & Sons
- Mott Macdonald
- National Nuclear Lab
- Defence Equipment & Support
- Severn Trent Water
- Econic Technologies
- Smiths Medical
Find out more
Additional resources to help you find a job
- Chemistry World
- European Young Chemists Network
- Royal Society of Chemistry
- Environmental Jobs
- STEM Graduates
- British Science Association