Working in the construction industry, Architects can be involved with buildings old and new. They may be designing new buildings and extensions or in planning alternations to existing buildings and advising on restorations and conservation.
Job profile of an Architect on the Prospects website
Job profile of an Architect on the Target Jobs website
Job profile of an Architect on the National Career Service website
Architectural technologists are specialists in the science of architecture, building design and construction. They work closely with architects and help to turn the architect's concept into reality in the completed construction. Concerned with the technical side of design, they ensure that an attractive functional building performs successfully.
Job profile of an Architectural Technologist on the Target Jobs website
Job profile of an Architectural Technician on the National Careers Service website
Job profile of an Architectural Technologist on the Prospects website
Interior and Spatial Designer
Interior and Spatial Designers design, plan and construct interior spaces. This could involve restructuring of spaces, fixtures and fittings, lighting and decoration. This role typically involves working closely with clients and construction professionals.
Job profile of an Interior and Spatial Designer on the Prospects website
Job profile of an Interior Designer on the National Careers Service website
Job profile of an Interior Designer on the All About Careers website
Building surveyors advise on the design and construction of new buildings as well as the maintenance and repair of existing buildings.
Job profile of a Building Surveyor on the Target Jobs website
Job profile of a Building Surveyor on the National Careers Advice website
Job profile of a Building Surveyor on the Prospects website
General Practice/Commercial/Residential Surveyor
This type of surveyor’s activities relate to management, purchase, sale, or leasing of land and property, as well as valuing and surveying property.
Job profile of a General Practice Surveyor on the National Careers Service website
Job profile of a Commercial/Residential Surveyor on the Prospects website
Job profile of a Quantity Surveyor on the Target Jobs website
Building Control Officer
Building Control Officers ensure that construction of both new buildings and alterations to existing buildings meet regulatory standards in safety, sustainability, accessibility and design.
Job profile of a Building Control Officer on the Target Jobs website
Job profile of a Building Control Officer on the National Careers Advise website
Building Services Engineer
Building Services Engineers design, install and maintain the services that are needed to allow a building to do what it's designed to.
Job Profile of a building services engineer
Conservation Officers advise on and promote the preservation of historic sites.
Job profile of a Historical Buildings Inspector/Conservation Officer on the Prospects website
Agents usually specialise in either sales or letting of residential or commercial properties, businesses or land on behalf of your clients. In this career you will need good people skills and the ability to negotiate to see a deal through to completion.
Job Profile of an estate agent on Prospects
Job Profile of an estate agent on National careers service
Landscape Architects design, plan and oversee the construction of outside spaces ranging from parks and gardens to industrial and commercial sites.
Job profile of a Landscape Architect on the Target Jobs website
Job profile of a Landscape Architect on the National Careers Service website
Job profile of a Landscape Architect on the Prospects website
Production Designers work in Film, Television and/or Theatre creating the set in collaboration with other members of a production crew. Clear communication and creativity are essential for this role.
Job profile of a Productions Designer on the Prospects website
Job profile of a Set Designer on the Prospects website
Job profile of a Set Designer on the Target Jobs website
Structural Engineers are involved in the design, planning and construction of buildings and bridges that are both aesthetically pleasing and safe.
Job profile of a Structural Engineer on the Target Jobs website
Job profile of a Structural Engineer on the Total Jobs website
Job profile of a Structural Engineer on the National Careers Service website
Town planners are involved in the development of cities, towns, villages and the countryside. This is in relation to housing, transport, leisure and the community.
Job profile of a Town Planner on the Prospects website
Job profile of a Town Planner on the National Careers Service website
Job profile of a Town and Country Planner on the Target Jobs website
As well as teaching through lectures and seminars, academic staff in higher education also carry out research and a wide range of administrative and pastoral tasks. Although a teaching qualification is not required, you will need a higher degree, normally a PhD. Competition is strong for entry-level academic posts.
Job profile of a higher education lecturer on the Prospects website
Job profile of a higher education lecturer on the TARGET Jobs website
Is working in the Higher Education sector for you? Jobs.ac.uk job opportunities and advice on careers in a University
I Want to Work in a University
These websites may be useful in job searching and for providing further information on careers and employers related to Architecture.
- Adrem Group the jobs site for an Architecture & Design recruitment agency
- Architecture Jobs Features vacancies for architects, CAD technicians, architectural technologists/technicians and assistants.
- BD Online the architect's website. Includes a jobs section
- Building recruitment pages can be found in the industry's market-leading publication
- Careers in Construction recruitment agency
- Careerstructure.com building, civil engineering and design jobs UK-wide including a comprehensive Graduate Zone section with career advice.
- Dezeen Jobs an international design and architecture jobs site
- Eden Brown technical recruitment agency for jobs in architecture, interior design, building services, engineering, town planning, charities, construction, education, housing and social care besides others
- Energy Job Line provide a range of engineering opportunities including mechanical engineering jobs, electrical, structural, offshore and many more vacancies with the leading engineering industry companies and recruitment agencies worldwide
- Hays Architecture leading recruiter for the architectural industry for over 30 years
- Hunter:Dunning Recruitment UK Architectural Jobs & Recruitment, Job Search for Architects, Technicians and Assistants with Architecture Recruitment Specialists.
- Laing O'Rourke includes specific roles for graduates
- Modern Building Services Online offers an editorial perspective covering the Building Services industry, principally in the UK
- Online Yellow Pages always worth searching for appropriate employer types in your local area to whom you might send a speculative CV
- Premises Recruitment specialist recruitment consultancy for professional and technical personnel in the property and construction industry
- RIBA Appointments an industry recruitment site that also offers careers advice
- Stock Harvard specialises in Architecture and Interior Design jobs. Cover London , the South East and East Anglia
- The Architect's Journal an industry journal site with news and information including a jobs page
- Urban Design Jobs opportunities in: architecture, community development, conservation, economic development landscape, planning, regeneration, researcher, urban design and urban planning.
Many of the professional bodies listed below have careers sections on their websites.
- Architects Registration Board
- Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE)
- Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists includes a careers and jobs section
- Chartered Institute of Building includes a careers section
- National Association of Estate Agents
- Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland
- Royal Institute of British Architects includes a careers section.
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors includes a jobs section
- Royal Town Planning Institute includes a careers section
You may also find useful reviews and application/interview tips for specific organisations on the following websites:
The Job Crowd
Find out more
- University of Kent Vacancy Database
- Royal Institute of British Architecture (RIBA)
- Arch Daily – articles on all aspects of architecture including career paths
- What can I do with a degree in architecture