2021/2022 When do I need to move in/out?
- Self-catered undergraduate students (inc. Pier Quays): your 39 week contract means you can live on campus from 18 September 2021 to 18 June 2022. You do not need to move out for spring or winter vacation periods.
- Part-catered undergraduate students: You will need to move out during the winter and spring vacations depending on where you live. Please see below for more information:
- For Becket Court and Keynes College (Blocks F,G,H and I), your accommodation contract covers a 31 week period starting on 18 September 2021 - 18 December 2021. It then restarts on 15 January 2022 - 9 April 2022 and then continues after the spring break for the 7 May 2022 - 18 June 2022.
- Eliot College residents' accommodation contract covers a 37 week period from 18 September 2021 - 22 December 2021 and then 3 January 2022 - 18 June 2022.
- Postgraduate students on a 52 week contract: 18 September 2021 - 14 September 2022. You do not need to move out during any of the vacation periods.
- Short course students: you will have been offered a contract to match your course dates. Please log in to the MyAccommodation Portal to check these.
You can always check your accommodation contract dates and when you need to move out via your MyAccommodation Portal.
Summer vacation 2022
Do you need Accommodation
over the Summer Vacation period? All 2021/22 contracts finish on 18 June 2022, but if you wish to stay on campus for any part of the summer vacation period we have rooms available to book.
The minimum stay is 21 nights and the cost per night is £27.00 for an en-suite single room in Tyler Court A and £20.00 for a standard single room in Darwin College. Accommodation is available to book from Saturday 18 June to Sunday 4 September 2022 inclusive. Towels, bed linen and kitchen equipment are not provided.
Should you decide to book for 21 nights and not the entire summer period, please note that if you wish to extend your stay, you will be required to make an online booking at least 72 hours prior to your original departure date. Accommodation will be subject to availability. Should you decide to leave earlier please contact email@example.com to arrange a refund
To make a booking and payment please visit this link and enter the relevant promotion code. Please avoid using the latest version of Google Chrome (90) to make your booking as this may cause issues with the payment going through.
Tyler Court promotion code: TYLERSUMMER22
Darwin College promotion code: DARWINSUMMER22
The last night for campus accommodation is Sunday 4 September 2022 so please select the departure date of Monday 5 September if you wish to include Sunday 4 September in your booking. Extended stays are available for students with an accommodation agreement on campus for the next academic year and details of how to book the extension will be provided prior to September.
Have a guest coming to visit? University guest accommodation is ideal for when you have friends or family visiting who want to stay on our Canterbury campus for the duration of their visit.
You can check room availability and book online in advance with special discounts for repeat bookers or long stays.
Storage and shipping of personal possessions
Whether you're looking to store your belongings for one of the vacation periods or planning to get some extra cases shipped home before you arrive, there are lots of external services available that can help. Additionally, you can also authorise a friend to pack belongings on your behalf using the procedures below.
Some local companies offering storage facilities include:
- A & S Self Storage - email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Jane on +44 (0)1227 459944
- Lock & Leave Self Storage email Canterbury@armadillostorage.co.uk - or call +44 (0)1227 470700
- Student Move & Store - contact Steven Brazier, +44 (0)1227 272170 or +44 (0)7788 501998
- Student Storage Box - call +44 (0)333 222 0813
National and international companies offering a range of packing, storage and shipping services:
Please note that the University does not accept any liability or responsibility for any of the services provided by these companies.
If you have already left and are unable to return to remove your personal possessions yourself from your accommodation, you can authorise another University of Kent student or a third-party company to pack and remove your belongings on your behalf.
To arrange this you would need to email the Accommodation Office with at least 3 working days notice. In the email you should include:
- Your name
- Your student number
- Your campus address
- Your contact number
- Name of your friend or company
- Their student number if applicable
- A contact number for them
- The date they are coming.
Leaving your accommodation
Whether you're leaving for a short period, vacation break or at the end of the year, there are a few things you need to do before you go.
- Remove all rubbish from your accommodation, kitchen and bins. Please recycle responsibly and to check where your nearest bin store is.
- Turn off all electrical items and lights (but not the fridge!)
- Dispose of, or take with you, any perishable foods. Permanent donation points are located at the Mandela building and Kent Union building (Woody's) at Park Wood for tinned or dried foods if you wish to donate these to the Union food bank.
- Collect any mail/parcels from your letterbox/reception.
- Close your windows, leaving the vent open.
- Check that all your doors are locked before you leave.
If you live in part-catered accommodation and are leaving for a vacation period, you will also need to return your keys or fob to reception. You can use your reception's drop box if you are leaving out of hours. (Becket Court and Keynes College residents leaving for spring vacation also need to follow the below steps).
At the end of your contract or if you are leaving early
In addition to the above, we also ask that when leaving at the end of the year (or moving out of Becket Court or Keynes College for the spring vacation) that you:
- Pack/remove all belongings by 10am on your move-out date as we are unable to store any items on campus. If you need to store or ship items there are a number of local and national companies that provide this service. Plus, you can donate unwanted items including clothes, electrical items and books by donating to Kent Union's STUFF, placing items in the British Heart Foundation banks in various locations across campus - see our bins and recycling map for your nearest location.
- Be careful not to cause any damage when removing items as you may be charged for the repair. For example paint damage caused by removing adhesive LED light strips.
- Return your keys or fob to reception before you leave. You can use your reception's drop box if you are leaving out of hours or if the reception is closed.
- Dispose, donate or take with you all your food. Perishable items should be disposed of and not left anywhere in the accommodation. Any dried or tinned food that you don't need can be donated to help feed others. Permanent donation points are located at the Mandela building and Kent Union building (Woody's) at Park Wood.
- Update your postal address. It is important to update your address and notify anyone/any companies who send you letters or parcels (including your bank, phone company and any online stores who have saved your preferred delivery address) so that all your mail still reaches you after you have moved out. This is true even if you are returning to campus accommodation next year, as we cannot accept or forward on parcels for students not currently in residence. Read the Post Office's guidelines on mail redirection.
- If you are departing earlier than the original contract end date make sure you have emailed the Accommodation team in advance to let them know. Information about early departure is available in your Accommodation Handbook or our FAQS.