FAQs for parents of international students

Here are some of our most frequently asked questions from parents of international students.

FAQ list

Using our website is the most convenient and fast way to send payments to the university. Instructions on how to do this as well as other payment methods can be found on our website. 

Find out about making payments to the University

We have a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate student accommodation options available on both our Canterbury and Medway campuses. Depending on preference, students can choose between en-suite, non-en-suite, catered and part-catered accommodation.

Our Canterbury accommodation is situated on our stunning Canterbury campus overlooking the city while our Medway accommodation is situated in our stylish Pier Quays development and is just a 15-minute walk away from Medway campus. More information, including options, prices, virtual tours and how to apply can be found on the accommodation webpages: 

Yes, we set aside a number of rooms for returning students . First year and returning students typically live separately, although returners can apply for any accommodation option on campus except Turing College which is reserved only for first year students. 

Accommodation applications for returning students open in mid-November and students can apply with their friends so they can live together or individually. Returning students enjoy all the same benefits as first year students such as no deposits, bills and insurance included, shorter contract offers and free Kent Sport membership.

Accommodation blocks are normally mixed-sex, however, if a student would prefer to be allocated to a single sex accommodation block, they can request for this by contacting the accommodation team via email on accomm@kent.ac.uk 

Unfortunately, It cannot be guaranteed we will be able to fulfil this request, but the accommodation team will try their best to allocate students in their preferred accommodation choice.   

Applicants who have received a conditional or an unconditional offer from the University can submit an application through our online accommodation portal   

Applications for accommodation should be received by 30 June 2023. Late applications will be considered subject to availability. 

View the Canterbury accommodation application timeline  

View the Medway accommodation application timeline

If you are on a course lasting six months or less you can be seen as a temporary patient at the Medical Centre (Canterbury campus) and the Sunlight Centre (Medway campus), but you will be unable to register. You may not be entitled to further National Health Service (NHS) treatment  (for example onward referral to hospital services, if required), so you should arrange private medical insurance.  For further information visit our Health and Wellbeing webpages. 

Students will become a junior member of one of the six Colleges at registration. They can find out which College they have been allocated to at the Student Portal under the 'my details' link.

If a student has any problems, they would like to discuss with a member of University staff, that cannot be resolved by their academic department, their College Master is available to offer advice and support.

Read the latest guidance on when students should arrive into the UK so they can enjoy the full benefits of our Welcome Week. 

We will be offering an airport pick-up service for students starting their programme in September 2023. There will be a charge for this service and further details will be available on our welcome webpages in due course.

Taxis are a direct way to travel in the UK, picking you up from your location and taking you straight to your destination. For this reason, taxis are considerably more expensive than public transport. Guidance on how to book a taxi to the University can be found on our welcome webpages.

Guidance on how to travel to our Canterbury and Medway campuses via public transport or car can be found on our welcome webpages.

Students from overseas need to bring their ID documents, Accommodation Arrival Pass and proof of qualifications (if required). Students also need to bring their Visa documents when travelling to the UK.

Further information:

Comprehensive guidance on how to open a bank account in the UK can be found on our welcome webpages

We recommend that students bring enough funds with them to the UK to cover the first few weeks while a bank account is being opened.

We will do everything to make sure our students have a positive experience while studying with us. Our dedicated Support and Wellbeing are available to all Kent students that need counselling and support.

Visit the Student Support website

Kent Union Advice centre also has trained immigration advisors that are available to assist international students who have queries related to their tier 4 Visa.    

Visit Kent Union Advice Centre website

We have a wide range of societies at Kent to suit a wide range of interests, whether they be, Sports, Community Action, Faith or Cultural. We also have a number of societies for Kent students from different countries and regions or those with the interest to learn more about different cultures around the world. 

Find out more about student groups at Kent

Our campuses and local communities offer an extensive and vibrant selection of places to eat and things to do. For example, the Canterbury campus also has it’s own cinema and theatre called the Gulbenkian which hosts live shows.     

More information on what to do on campus

Canterbury campus
On-campus security at Canterbury includes 24/7 campus patrols and CCTV, night-time campus walking taxi service, free personal safety alarms and nearly all our accommodation is protected by key card entry.

Medway campus
Access to the Medway campus is monitored by the gatehouse staff and members of security patrol the site 24 hours a day.

The accommodation at Pier Quays features comprehensive CCTV coverage, 24 hour security and electronic entry systems.

There is a Police Community Support Officer based in the Drill Hall Library on who regularly patrols the campus and all areas are covered by CCTV.

Download the SafeZone app
The University has also has free service to help give round-the-clock safety reassurance to staff and students in the form of a SafeZone app. Students can download this from the app store for either Apple or Google.

More information on safety

The University’s Canterbury campus, situated on parkland overlooking Canterbury’s World Heritage Site, is home to over 15,645 students from 152 countries and has a cosmopolitan atmosphere. 39% of our academic staff are from overseas as well.

You can also get a feel of our international community by viewing our wide range of international societies 

Both of our Canterbury and Medway campuses are easy to get to by public transport whether it be by bus, coach or train.

More information:

  • The cost of living in the UK while studying at can vary depending on a few factors including accommodation, location and lifestyle.    

More information:

Visit our How to apply pages for full details: 

If your child has obtained their results and they meet all the other conditions on their offer then they will proceed to going unconditional. If they are undergraduate and have not met their grades, they could apply via Clearing 

After your child has received their results and all conditions of offer are met, their application will be assessed to see if a visa is required. If this is the case our Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) team will be in touch to obtain the relevant information that they might require to produce this document.

Information on applying for a CAS can be found on our student immigration website  

 Under the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) in the UK we are unable to discuss any application decisions with anyone unless it is the applicant themselves.

However, we can have written consent from the student advising that their application may be discussed with a named person such as a parent or educational representative. This information will then be added to the students record for the University to be aware of the situation.

If we can have written consent from your child advising that their application may be discussed with a named person such as a parent or educational representativ then we will be able to answer any queries you might have. 

More information about applying for a CAS and visa. 

To study at Kent, your child needs to show evidence of their proficiency in spoken and written English and this would also be required for visa purposes as well. 

International students can do this in a variety of ways either via an approved English test such as IELTs or in some cases we can make assessments by using the qualification. View the qualifications that we can accept for English purposes at the University

If you child cannot meet these requirements, the University also offers their own in-house English courses. These courses take place before your child starts their degree. Upon successful completion of the course this qualification can be used to progress to the main degree programme. More information on these courses

At Kent 95% of undergraduate and 97% of postgraduate students are in work or study six months after graduation. For more information on the careers our graduates go on to have, please visit our course pages.

At Kent, we have our own dedicated Careers and Employability Service (CES) that offers students and recent alumni assistance with finding employment, CV writing, application reviews, mock interviews and other careers guidance. 

Here you can also find out more about the jobs that are advertised through our CES team as well as the careers fairs and employability events that take place throughout the year.

For students looking for part time jobs while studying, Kent Union has a Jobshop that advertise part time jobs in the local area. 

As well as earning money while studying, part time jobs can enable students to gain valuable work experience and increase their employability. The Jobshop also host job fairs where a variety of companies attend who offer part-time, temporary and seasonal employment opportunities for Kent students. More information on Jobshop 

Was this page helpful?

Please let us know if this page was helpful to you.

Last updated