Students who are studying at the University for more than six months and hold a Student visa may be required to register with the police. Police registration generally only applies to people with certain nationalities as listed in Appendix 2 of the Immigration Rules but it is possible other nationalities may also be required to register with the police.
New Registrations for Canterbury and Medway Students
If you are required to register with the police, you must register online within 7 days of arriving in the UK.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions and government guidelines, face-to-face registrations have only recently resumed and there is a backlog as a result of the pandemic. You may need to keep checking for available appointments. The Kent Police Nationality Department ask that those required to register with the police still do so online initially before contacting them for further guidance.
There will be no Police Registration appointments on campus this year.
How do I register with the police?
- - visit the Kent Police website
- - create an account,
- - complete the online registration
- - Email Nationality Office for advice
In order to register, you will need
- your personal details, UK address (and postcode) and your contact details
- a family member’s details (if applicable)
- your passport and your Visa/travel details
- your study or employment details
- the ability to upload a passport style photograph
You will have 20 minutes to create your account and input your details online so please have all personal documents to hand. Once completed you will need to activate your account within one hour for which you will receive an email.
When registration appointments resume, you must take your:
- Biometric Residence Permit (also known as BRP)
- Letter from the Home Office (If BRP applied in the UK)
- Proof of work or study
- Proof of address
- Passports of any dependants under 16 living in the UK
- £34 in cash or card (do not accept American Express)