at our Open Days
What is a Student visa?
A Student visa (previously known as a Tier 4 visa) is immigration document which allows you to legally study in the UK for more than six months.
You will, in the first instance, receive a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) which you will need to use to apply for a Student visa to UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI).
If your visa is granted and depending on where you apply from, you may receive a vignette in your passport and/or a Biometric Residence Permit.
Who can apply?
You can apply for a Student visa to study in the UK if you are age 16 or over and you:
- have been offered a place on a course by a licensed student sponsor
- have been issued a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) by a licensed student sponsor
- have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course - the amount will vary depending on your circumstances
- can speak, read, write and understand English
- have consent from your parents if you’re age 16 or 17 - you’ll need evidence of this when you apply
Please see the government website for full information on a Student visa.
Your visa is linked to your University
You cannot study with any other institution while holding a Student visa sponsored by Kent and likewise, if you hold a Student visa sponsored by another institution, you cannot ordinarily study at Kent.
When can I apply?
The timeline differs depending on your circumstances.
If you are an applicant, you will be assessed for a CAS when you accept an unconditional offer from Kent.
- If you are an applicant applying from outside the UK, you will be assessed for a CAS up to six months before your course start date.
- If you are an applicant applying from inside the UK, you will be assessed for a CAS up to three months before your course start date.
If you are a current student, you have to apply for a CAS from the Student Immigration Compliance Team up to three months before your course start date. Whether you can apply from inside or outside of the UK will be assessed at the CAS application stage.
How do I apply?
There are different application steps that you must take depending on your circumstances:
- Government Student visa webpage
- Government Student route caseworker guidance
- Government Immigration Rules: Appendix Student
- Browse the Home Office guidance for study in the UK
- UKCISA guidance on applying for a Student visa from overseas
- UKCISA guidance on applying for a Student visa from within the UK