A glossary of student immigration terms.


Alternative Collection Location code

This is a code specific to each university to be used in your Student visa application for the collection of your Biometric Residence Permit.


Academic Technology Approval Scheme

A certificate needed for applicable overseas students and researchers to study certain sensitive subjects in the UK at postgraduate level.


Biometric Residence Permit

A card showing your immigration status.  


Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies

A unique electronic code, required for your Student visa application, that the University issues on behalf of the Home Office.


The curtailment of visa permission means that the expiry date of your Student visa is curtailed (or cut short) by the Home Office, effectively giving you a new, earlier visa end date.


The UK government's official website.  

Home Office

A ministerial department of the UK government, responsible for immigration, security, and law and order.  

Student visa

Previously know as the Tier 4 visa, this is the most common visa for overseas students studying in the UK.  

Tier 4 visa

The previous name for a Student visa.  


UK Council for International Student Affairs

The UK's national advisory body serving the interests of international students and those who work with them.  


United Kingdom Visas and Immigration

A division of the Home Office responsible for the United Kingdom's visa system.


A visa sticker that is added to your passport when your entry clearance application is approved. It includes an image of your photographic identification and will state the type of visa you have been granted, as well as the visa validity (issue date and end date).

Last updated