Your Student visa responsibilities

As a Student visa holder, you have responsibilities that you must abide by during your studies at the University of Kent.

Below is a list of your responsibilities, as well as those of the University as your immigration sponsor. It is imperative that you are aware of your visa conditions and of your responsibility to protect your immigration status.

For further information regarding rules and regulations, please refer to the Home Office caseworker guidance.

Student responsibilities

  • Register on your course by the required course start date
  • Ensure all fees due to the University are paid when requested
  • Provide the University with your current passport, visa/Biometric Residence Permit and/or in person, for scanning. Immediately inform the University of any changes to these documents and present them in person for scanning to your student record
  • Respond to all requests by the University to present in person, your passport, visa and other documents for scanning
  • Provide the University with your contact details including your UK address, personal email address and mobile number. These must be updated on KentVision as soon as there is any change, and it is your responsibility to do this.
  • Notify the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) of any changes to your personal circumstances
  • Participate fully in your studies at the University and attend all seminars, supervisions, example classes, laboratory and other practical classes and lectures as may be required of you
  • Comply with all University regulations, Codes of Practice, policies and procedures including the University's Student Charter and general regulations for students
  • Notify your school if you are ill or unable to attend your studies and provide a doctor’s letter to confirm your illness for any periods of absence which occur due to sudden and severe health issues
  • Do not work more than the maximum allowable number of hours per week specified on your visa (ie 20 hours or 10 hours) during term time, paid or unpaid
  • Do not undertake self employment or engage in business activity in the UK
  • Notify the University if you decide to withdraw from your course or intermit your studies
  • Leave the UK when your visa expires unless you have obtained further valid leave
  • Co-operate and act honestly in all dealings with the University, as well as act in a way that supports the University in discharging its sponsor duties
  • If applicable, pay the immigration health surcharge at the time of visa application
  • Ensure that you have valid ATAS clearance throughout your registration at Kent, where applicable

University responsibilities

The University is required to keep a record and history of your contact details, which includes your UK residential address, telephone number, and email address.

The University must retain copies of:

  • Your current passport showing all personal identity details (including biometric details)
  • Your current Student visa, either as a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), entry clearance certificate or other immigration status document showing your period of leave to remain in the UK, with entitlement to study at the University of Kent
  • All qualifications and evidence used to obtain your entry to the course
  • Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate (for students who require this for their visa application)

The University is required to make a report to the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) in certain situations. The University will inform UKVI if you:

  • Do not enrol or complete Returning Registration on your course of study or arrive later than the course start date
  • Withdraw from the University for any reason
  • Temporarily suspend studies through a period of intermission
  • Change your course or reduce/extend the length of your course
  • Move into a different immigration category and/or no longer require a Student visa
  • Breach any visa conditions, including working more than the prescribed number of hours per week, miss expected consecutive contact points and/or fail to engage with the programme of study and Student sponsorship has been withdrawn as a result of the non-engagement
  • Undertake a work placement, informing UKVI of your employer details and dates of employment
  • Change your study location to another campus, site or partner institution
  • Undertake fieldwork of more than one month duration

This list is not exhaustive.

Last updated