Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

This page details what a Biometric Residence Permit is, where to collect it from, and what to do if there is an error on it, if it is lost or stolen. You can also find our ACL codes here.

What is a BRP and how do I collect mine?

A Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is a card which shows your immigration status. It is the size of a bank card, and can be used to confirm your identity, right to study, rent property, work in the UK and your right to any public services or benefits.

If you made your visa or immigration application from inside the UK, your Biometric Residence Permit will be sent to the address you gave in your application. You do not need to collect it.  

If you applied for your immigration status (for example, your visa) from outside the UK, you’ll need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit once you’re in the UK. You must usually do this before the vignette* sticker in your travel document expires or within ten days of arriving in the UK, whichever is later.

* A vignette is a yellow sticker in your passport giving you permission to enter the UK within a period of between 30 and 90 days. Please report Biometric Residence Permit collection issues to the Home Office.  

You can collect your Biometric Residence Permit from the University of Kent campus (Canterbury or Medway) or from the local Post Office. Please see below for more information.

Biometric Residence Permit collection from the University is on an appointment only basis.

We will contact you when we have received your Biometric Residence Permit and you will be invited to book an appointment for collection. This will apply to Canterbury and Medway campuses.

Collecting your Biometric Residence Permit from University of Kent campuses

When collecting your Biometric Residence Permit from the Student Immigration Compliance Team (by appointment only), please bring your:

  • Home Office visa decision letter
  • Your current passport which should contain your relevant entry clearance vignette

Alternative Collection Location (ACL) code

The University of Kent has two ACL codes.

The ACL code for the Canterbury Campus is 2HE362

The ACL code for the Medway Campus is 2HE367

We kindly ask that you do not use the University’s ACL code for any dependant applications made separately to your own. They should use their proposed UK post code when completing their visa application and their BRP can be collected from the closest specified Post Office branch.

Collecting your BRP from the Post Office

Take your passport (with your vignette sticker in it) and your Home Office decision letter when you collect your Biometric Residence Permit.


Your local Canterbury Post Office branch is 19 St George's Street, Canterbury, Kent, CT1 2LB.

A map from the Canterbury Bus Station to the Post Office

A map from the Canterbury Bus Station to the Post Office


Your local Chatham Post Office branch branch is 17-19 Military Road, Chatham, Kent, ME4 4JG.

A map showing the distance from campus to the Chatham Post Office

A map from the Medway campus to the Chatham Post Office  

What do I do if there is an error on my BRP?

What is a Biometric Residence Permit error?

You can report problems with your Biometric Residence Permit online. This includes:

  • if there is a mistake in your personal details
  • if the length of leave granted is incorrect*
  • if your conditions of stay are incorrect, eg working hours*
  • if your Biometric Residence Permit was damaged when it arrived

* If you applied for your visa from inside the UK, you can ask for an administrative review.

If you are unsure of an error, please contact the Student Immigration Compliance Team.  

I have an error on my Biometric Residence Permit - what do I do?

If there’s a problem with your Biometric Residence Permit when it arrives, report the problem within ten days. Otherwise, you may have to apply and pay for a replacement.

I have reported the error - what happens next?

The Home Office will email you within five working days to tell you what to do next. It will take longer if you don’t provide an email address.

You should contact the Student Immigration Compliance Team to say that you have reported the error. Once you receive your replacement BRP you should send clear, colour copies of both sides of the new card to the team via email.

My BRP is lost or has been stolen

You can report your Biometric Residence Permit lost or stolen from inside or outside of the UK, but you can only order a replacement from inside the UK. If you are outside of the UK, you will need to apply for a replacement BRP visa which lets you re-enter the UK once only.

For full details on how to report your lost or stolen Biometric Residence Permit and how to apply for a replacement, please visit the government webpage.

Last updated