Standard Visitor visa

Short-term Student visa

You will not need to apply for a Short-term Student visa to study at Kent as it is only required for studying English language programmes (English as a Foreign Language - EFL or English to Speakers of Other Languages - ESOL) for between six and eleven months.

What is a Standard Visitor visa?

You can visit the UK as a Standard Visitor to study a course of no more than six months in length.

You will need to calculate your time in the UK so that you can make sure you don't come to the UK too early and can stay until your course has finished.  

Check if you need a visa to visit the UK

Depending on your nationality, you’ll either:

  • have to apply for a Standard Visitor visa before you travel to the UK
  • be able to visit the UK for up to six months without needing a visa. Please make sure that you keep your travel itinerary showing the dates of travel as this will be required for enrolment and Registration.

You can check if you need a visa before you apply.

If you do not need a visa, you must still meet the Standard Visitor eligibility requirements to visit the UK. You may be asked questions at the UK border about your eligibility and the activities you plan to do.

European exchange (six months or less): EU/EEA/Swiss nationals

My exchange is for less than six months. What options do I have?

EU/EEA nationals do not require immigration permission in advance and can use e-Gates to enter the UK. This will give Visitor immigration permission for a maximum of six months. You should keep hold of your boarding pass as proof of your date of entry for enrolment and registration purposes.

Study for more than 6 months

I am a visiting researcher/incoming exchange student and I will be at Kent for a period of more than six months.  What options do I have?

If you are planning to undertake a visiting research period or exchange of more than six months, you will be required to apply for the Student route visa. You will not be able to study for the full length of your time at Kent without obtaining immigration permission in advance.

Last updated