Information for current EU students

As a university, we greatly value the contribution made by students from across the EU to our international community. This webpage is designed to provide information to EU students currently studying at the University on changes as a result of the United Kingdom’s departure from the European Union.

FAQ list

As a current student you should be able to live and study in the UK after the UK leaves the EU. In order to do so you will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. If you have been a resident for less than five years, it is likely you will be granted ‘pre-settled status’. You can then apply to change this to ‘settled status’ once you have 5 years’ continuous residence. You must apply to change this before your ‘pre-settled status’ expires.

Applying to the EU Settlement Scheme is free, and the Home Office’s aim is to make it as simple and straightforward as possible. All you need to do is complete a three-step application with a laptop or mobile device to prove your identity, confirm you live in the UK and declare any criminal convictions. Once you are granted ‘pre-settled’ or ‘settled status’ you will be able to work in the UK, use the NHS for free as you do now, continue studying, access public funds if you’re eligible for them and travel in and out of the UK. See guidance.

The UK government have confirmed that EU students starting University in England in 2020/2021 will still be eligible for home student fees and financial support for the duration of their course, provided they meet the residency requirement. EU nationals who start a higher education course in England in the 2020/21 academic year will remain eligible for undergraduate and postgraduate financial support, Advanced Learner Loans as well as FE and apprenticeships support.

The EU Settlement Scheme allows you to apply to remain in the UK after it leaves the EU. The deadline for applying to the Settlement Scheme is 30 June 2021.

If you are granted ‘pre-settled status’ this will allow you to stay in the UK until you are able to apply for ‘settled status’. You can then apply to change this to ‘settled status’ once you have 5 years' continuous residence. Once you have ‘settled status’, you’ll be able to remain in the UK indefinitely. If you started living in the UK before 31 December 2020 and have lived in the UK for a continuous 5 year period you’ll usually be granted ‘settled status’.

On 1 January 2021 the UK implemented a points-based immigration system that prioritises skills and talent over where a person comes from. Anyone intending to come to the UK from January 2021 will need to apply under the relevant category of the immigration rules.

If you do not know what action to take in relation to your immigration status, use the government’s online tool.

Yes, currently EU students remain eligible to apply for UKRI-funded PhD scholarships starting in the academic year 2020/21 and UK universities are seeking confirmation that this will be the case under any Brexit scenario. For more information about PhD scholarships, please visit  

Last updated