Study support

Workshops, tutorials and online resources to support you with your studies.

Student Learning Advisory Service (SLAS)

Studying for a degree is different to studying at school. You will be asked to complete assignments in ways you may not have experienced before, such as: researching, referencing, being analytical/critical, and writing in an academic style. You will also be expected to take more control of your own learning

The Student Learning Advisory Service (SLAS) can support you in developing new skills, managing your studies, developing your thinking, understanding and communication.

More on what SLAS offer

Academic advisers

A good place to start, for all your studying needs, is your academic adviser. They can help you with most things academic, including exams, attendance and study support.

Your school will let you know who your academic adviser is (in your student handbook or online) and you can search for advisers in SDS.

Faculty, school and student reps

Your faculty, school and student reps can be used as a form of support and are there to make sure your views get heard. 

Find your reps on Kent Union's website or GK Unions' website if you're in Medway.

English language support

If English is not your first language, you can take English Language and Academic Skills (ELAS) modules, with the Centre for English and World Languages (CEWL). ELAS modules are free and help you improve your academic English language skills in the following areas:

  • essay writing
  • grammar
  • seminar discussion and presentation skills
  • listening/note taking
  • academic reading
  • pronunciation

ELAS also offers individual writing and speaking tutorials and gives you the chance to discuss your specific language difficulties with an English language tutor.

More on English language support
Last updated