Health and welfare

Registering with a doctor

It is recommended that you register with a local doctor or medical centre, particularly if you have a pre-existing medical or mental health condition. 

 It is also advisable to visit your dentist before leaving the UK because dentist bills, particularly in North America, can often be very expensive and not covered by the insurance policy.

Please note that medical support might be provided in different ways to the UK, e.g. through a local hospital rather than through the host university. 

In some countries, it is important to go to the state-provided medical services to avoid the high charges of private facilities. 

Pre-existing medical conditions, disabilities and specific learning difficulties

If you have a pre-existing health condition, disability or specific learning difficulty, it is very important that you meet with your doctor, specialist and/or Student Support adviser to discuss your plans. This will help you to work out what type of support you might need while abroad, if any. 

Even if you do not currently need support or a prescription, it is worth discussing this in case your circumstances change while you are abroad. Having a back-up plan will mean that if something does happen, you will be prepared and it can be dealt with promptly.

Make sure that you have supplies of any necessary prescription medicines before you leave. (You may need to check that your medicine is allowed in the host country.)

We also strongly recommend that you notify the Go Abroad Team as soon as possible, so that we can advise you appropriately and liaise with your host university/school/employer on your behalf (if this is necessary). 

Disability support

The types of support available and how they accessed can vary. You may find that there is a wide range of support available at the host university or that support is accessed through local private or state providers. 

Please contact the Go Abroad team early to discuss your support requirements and potential host universities.

Emergency contacts

Emergency services numbers:

  • Australia: 000
  • Canada: 911
  • China: Police 110, Medical 120, Fire 119
  • Europe (excluding UK): 112  
  • Hong Kong: 999
  • Japan: 119
  • Malaysia: 999
  • Singapore
    • if calling from an international phone, dial 112 or 911 and this will redirect you to the relevant number; 
    • if calling from a local phone, dial 995 (EMS. ambulance, fire rescue) or 999 (police)
  • South Korea: 112
  • Taiwan: Police 110, Fire/Ambulance 119
  • USA: 911

Notify the Go Abroad Team of any emergency:

Telephone: +44 1227 827994

If you are unable to contact us directly, arrange for someone to contact us on your behalf.

Make sure that you have registered for the University’s insurance policy before you go abroad. Keep the Chubb emergency assistance number in a safe place, ready for you to use in an emergency.

In the event of a serious incident in your town/country, follow the advice given by local authorities to keep yourself safe. Do not take unnecessary risks.

Last updated