Find the answers to the most frequently asked questions about Go Abroad, how to apply and preparing for working or studying abroad.

If you can't find the answer to your query, email the Go Abroad team who will be happy to help.

Applying to Go Abroad

You will need to contact your Division's Undergraduate Team for advice and to complete the Change of Course form by the Autumn Term of your Second Year. You will also need to submit the Study Abroad application form by the November deadline.

International students wishing to add a year abroad to their course will be approved on a case-by-case basis in accordance with UK immigration regulations and the University’s Tier 4/Student Visa policy on Academic Progression and Change of Course. Students also need to be aware that they may need to return home overseas to apply for a new visa to add the year to their degree.

The University expects students to make a new immigration application, in their normal place of residence (overseas), before their visa runs out to ensure they have immigration permission.

Visit our Go Abroad costs and funding page for details.

You must meet the academic requirements set by your Division in order to study/work abroad. 

Please contact your Division for more information.

Students in the Division of Arts and Humanities can choose to do a term abroad, subject to meeting the necessary criteria. 

The term abroad takes place in the spring/summer terms of your second year, so you will need to start the study abroad process in the spring term of your first year. 

Doing a Term Abroad may affect the modules that you choose for the Autumn Term of your second year, because the period abroad may overlap the exam period at Kent.

Alternatively, students in any Division can do an extra-curricular activity abroad, such as a Summer School or a voluntary placement. 

This is not usually possible because the exchanges are linked to specific subject areas and have been approved by the appropriate Schools at Kent. The university you are considering may not offer suitable modules at an appropriate level or be able to accept exchange students outside the subject of the exchange. In some cases, there are also language requirements.

If you are doing a joint honours degree in Humanities, you could look at the destinations offered for both subjects.

If you have not previously studied the host language, you should choose a destination which teaches in English. 

If you have previously studied the host language, you must demonstrate that you have reached at least B2 level in that language on the CEFR scale in order for your application to be considered. This is because of the challenges of studying at degree level in a second language.

Priority for places on exchanges which are taught in the host language will be given to students on degrees which require them to study that language.

Preparing to Go Abroad

You will get academic and administrative support from Kent before, during and after the year abroad:

  • The Go Abroad team in International Partnerships who are responsible for all matters relating to study or work abroad.
  • The Student Support team in your Division who look after matters relating to your academic progress and degree.
  • The Placement Officer in your Division who provides advice and support for all work placements.

You will also get support from your host university or employer.

Many host universities provide support services, for example a medical centre or a counselling service. In other cases, students may access support through local medical facilities, for example through a public hospital. Students can also access mental health support through Kent's external provider, Spectrum Life.

Study/work abroad placements which are an official part of the degree are assessed using a pass/fail system

If you study abroad, the pass/fail mark will be based on the grades you receive from the host university. You may have to pass a certain percentage of the modules at the host university in order to receive a pass. Please contact your Division for further information.

If you work abroad, your Division will set the assessment criteria, such as  an essay or report. They may also ask your employer to provide an evaluation.

Last updated