Use this format for your username:
- Your Kent IT Account username followed by @kent.ac.uk
- For example: email@example.com
Phone, laptop and tablet settings
Use Outlook on a Windows laptop or desktop PC:
On campus: when connected to the Kent network, open Microsoft Outlook and the setup process should run. If asked for mail service/ type, choose Microsoft Exchange.
- Click Start
- Click Control Panel
- Click Mail - if you can’t see it, click Switch to Classic View or View by: Small icons
- Click Show profiles
- Add… and give the profile a name (eg, kent email)
- Enter your name and Kent IT Account details (under Add New E-mail Accounts)
- There may be a few minutes’ delay
- When asked to login you may need to choose Use Another Account.
- Enter your Kent username in this format: firstname.lastname@example.org (replace abc1 with your username)
- Open Outlook 2016
- Click Add Account
- Add an Exchange Account in the Accounts Window (from the Outlook menu click Preferences then Accounts)
- Choose Exchange or Office 365 (type of account)
- Exchange account info: enter your email address or shared mailbox email
- Authentication method: User Name and Password
- Enter your Kent username (even for shared accounts) in this format: email@example.com (replace abc1 with your username)
- Configure automatically: tick
- Click Add Account and close the window
Outlook will synchronise with the server.
Mac Mail (not for shared mailboxes)
Click the Mail menu, then Preferences and the + button (bottom left) to add a new account, and enter:
- Type of account: Exchange
- Name: your full name
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org (replacing abc1 with your own username)
- User name: your Kent IT Account username (eg abc1)
- Password: your Kent IT Account password
Mail will synchronise (see progress below the left menu).
Permission to delete your data: you need allow us to remote wipe your phone if you report it lost or stolen to us (this means you would lose all your data).
How to set up email access:
- Go to email settings and choose set up email
- Choose Office 365 or Exchange Office 365, you might need to configure manually:
- for manual settings enter your email address and username as email@example.com
- change the server to: outlook.office365.com
- ensure 'Use secure connect (SSL) is ticked
- Sign in as firstname.lastname@example.org (replace username with your own)
- Choose sync options.
Click OK to the Remote Security Administration warning, and Activate the device administrator: this enables the remote wipe outlined above.
Find the option to add an email account, then:
- Choose Microsoft Exchange
- Under Email enter email@example.com (replace username with your own such as abc12)
- If asked to configure manually or sign in, choose sign in and use the Kent login screen that appears
- Choose your sync options and Save
If manual settings are needed use these:
- Server: outlook.office365.com
- Domain: blank
- Username: use the format firstname.lastname@example.org replacing with our username
- Choose your sync options
To keep phone contacts separate: use Outlook on your computer to create a folder called 'phone contacts'; on your phone go to your contacts, tap Groups, select the 'phone contacts' folder. it's now the default phone contacts folder.
To set up an IMAP email client to access your staff/PGR email, use these settings:
- Username: Enter in the format email@example.com (the username is your Kent IT Account username, for example: abc12)
- Description: office 365
- Account type: IMAP or IMAP4
- Incoming mail: outlook.office365.com
- Port: 993
- Encryption method: SSL
- Outgoing mail: smtp.office365.com
Encryption method: TLS or STARTTLS depending on device
If your phone is lost / stolen, you should remote wipe off your data so others can't access it.
To remote wipe your phone:
- search the web for 'wipe my iphone' or 'wipe my android phone' for instructions
- or ask us to do it for you: when you connect a smartphone to your Kent email you gave us permission to remote wipe your device. We'll only do this if you report it to us, and we'll tell you first. We don't remote wipe devices as a matter of course, won't wipe it without your knowlege and won't wipe your phone when you leave.
Staff and student societies can apply for a shared mailbox, which is a shared email account that multiple people can access. Choose who can access the email account and its calendar, task lists and contacts.
Access it online using this link: https://firstname.lastname@example.org - replace the mailboxname in the link with the name of your shared mailbox.
- Open Outlook
- Click File > Account Settings > Account Settings
- Select Microsoft Exchange, then the Change... button above it.
- Select More Settings then Advanced tab
- Select Add
- Type the Corporate Mailbox Name
- Click Apply then Ok, Next, Finish, and Close
Check the Sender
When writing your next email in Outlook, click Options (top menu) and then From. This displays the From field to let you choose which mailbox you're sending mail.
Finding sent mail: sent mail goes into the personal Sent folder of the sender. To manage this:
- either drag and drop mail from a personal Sent folder to the shared mailbox Sent folder;
- or use Outlook online to send all mail from the mailbox (see instructions above).
- Open Outlook for Mac
- Select File
- Select Open
- Select Other User's Folder
- Select Inbox from the folder type drop-down menu
- Enter the name of your shared folder in the search box
- Select your Shared Mailbox from the list
- Select Open
Sharing large files
The file size limit for email attachments in Kent emails is 45MB (or 35MB via Outlook.com).
To send larger files to anyone inside or outside the University, save the file to your OneDrive, then:
- From your draft email in Outlook, click Attach
- Choose to browse web locations/cloud locations
- Select the file from your OneDrive
- Choose to send it as a link rather than an attachment
If you need to send files that contain sensitive data, you can use the GOEsend service. It lets you send files up to 5GB in size.
Calendar and contacts
Shared resource calendar
Make rooms and resources bookable (for staff)
If you manage any bookable resources you could set them up a shared resource calendar in Outlook. This lets others book them using their calendar.
Junk and fake email
Check your Junk folder regularly
Some of the emails you need could be in your Junk Email folder.
To check it:
- Open email in either Outlook or in a web browser
- Go to the Junk Email folder
- If you find an email you want, right click on it, and:
- choose Mark as not junk if you see it;
- if not click Junk, then click Never Block Sender.
We recommend doing this regularly to make sure you don’t miss important mail.
How to spot fake (fraudulent) email
Email closure when you leave
When you leave Kent you will lose access to your email: details are in our IT Account closure guide
Find out all the ways you can get in touch: