Intermission Procedures for
Undergraduate Students

It is important that you seek help if you are experiencing problems with your studies.

If you seek a period of intermission you are strongly advised to check the financial consequences with your sponsors. It is very important that your sponsor is consulted.

Please note that if you have not had permission to intermit, your fees will not be adjusted, and you will be charged full fees for accommodation and tuition.

The Faculty concerned may, in cases of illness or other reasonable cause, permit a student to interrupt registration as a student, normally for a period of not more than one year at a time. If you feel you have a genuine need to take a break from your studies, go and see your tutor, student support officer or Senior Tutor1. The University does not encourage students to take longer than normal to complete their studies but is willing to discuss this with you when there is good reason to consider an intermission. Whatever is decided, you will have to speak to your funding body to ensure that any funding you receive is not affected by suspending your studies through an intermission.

Intermission is normally granted for a complete academic year, or occasionally part of an academic year. Normally no intermissions will be granted after the deadline for student examination registration2 (week 15 of the academic year).

Students must complete the Leave to Intermit Application Form to obtain permission to intermit from the University3.

Possible reasons for leave to intermit are:

1. personal - family or personal reasons (other than illness), which prevent you from continuing your studies;

2. financial - your financial situation prevents you from continuing your studies;

3. medical:

a) absence from the University due to medical or emotional reasons, or other such extenuating circumstances;

b) illness or extenuating circumstances, which are having a negative impact on your studies;

c) illness or extenuating circumstances, which have interrupted your studies.

Whatever the reason, you should provide evidence to the School Senior Tutor. When the reason for intermitting is medical, your School Senior Tutor will require that you provide medical evidence. Before you return from intermission, you will be required to provide another medical certificate to testify that you are fit to return to your studies.

Acceptable supporting evidence other than medical documentation includes an original (not photocopied) document written and signed by an appropriate third party, giving details of the circumstance, its duration, and, where possible, its impact. An appropriate third party would be one who knows the student in a professional capacity or one who can verify the circumstances from a position of authority (e.g. lecturer, personal tutor, Students’ Union representative, GP, University Counsellor) and who is in a position to provide objective and impartial evidence. Letters from family members or fellow students will not be acceptable.

A few things to remember:

  • We look for evidence of genuine need before granting intermissions. Intermission is granted for exceptional and/or unforeseen circumstances only.
  • Intermitting does not change the number of terms you will spend at the University, or your examination results.
  • Intermitting is intended to relieve you of a disadvantage, not put you at an advantage to other students.
  • If you decide to apply to intermit, it is your responsibility to check with both our Finance Office and your funding body what proportion of accommodation and tuition fees will be charged and whether you are liable for any repayment.
  • If you subsequently want to change the period for which you have been permitted to intermit, you must seek approval through your School Senior Tutor.
  • If you have to leave the University quickly for medical reasons, make sure you are seen by a doctor at the time, so that they can give you a medical certificate which reflects the severity of your condition.
  • Make sure your sponsor is informed.
  • If you are a UK student then you need to complete a Change of Circumstances Form for your funding body, however, if you are a student who normally lives in England the Undergraduate Office (for the Faculties of Humanities and Social Sciences) or the School Office (for the Faculty of Sciences) will advise Student Finance England direct. In this case, you are advised to contact Student Finance England yourself to determine how the intermission will affect your funding and the tuition fees you will have to pay when you return to the University.
  • If you are an international student sponsored by the University under a Tier 4 visa and you intermit from your studies for a period longer than 60 days you will not be permitted to remain in the UK, as you will not be studying full time at the University of Kent. You should make arrangements to leave the UK unless you have another immigration status that entitles you to remain. You may want to seek advice from the Kent Union Advice Centre (Canterbury campus) or Greenwich and Kent Unions (Medway campus), as there may be implications for your visa.

Should you wish to intermit, please complete the Leave to Intermit Application Form and return it to your School's office.

Please note that it is the applicant's responsibility to ensure the form is submitted in good time.


Last updated August 2016


1. For Partner Colleges, reference to the Senior Tutor should be taken to indicate the college Programme Director or Head of Section.
2. Deans are empowered to authorise intermissions after this point on an exceptional basis; refer to

3. Or Partner College, as appropriate.
4. Or Partner College advice unit, as appropriate.

[top of page]


UELT - © University of Kent

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 764000

Last Updated: 28/02/2017