Moving out

Before you know it it’s time to move out. This can be a busy and stressful time but here are a few helpful hints.
  • Change your address – do this two to three weeks before you move, so you don’t miss any important post.

  • Check your tenancy agreement – to see what it says about handing back the property at the end of the tenancy. It should include clear guidance as to what the landlord expects you to do.

  • Get out your inventory - and make sure every item meets the condition indicated on the original list. Get out the photos you took when you moved in and compare.

  • Have a good clean – put a date in the diary with all your housemates, so it’s not down to the last poor person left. It might be worth getting a professional in. Here are some top tips to make sure you don't leave a mess when you move out. And don't forget the garden if you have one!

  • Unsubscribe – the gas, electricity, phone, water etc... to make sure you don’t get charged after you move out. And make sure all your bills are settled before you leave.

  • Talk to the landlord – arrange an inspection date when you’re still around so you can do it together.

  • Don’t leave a mess when you move out. Find out when you have to move out so you can start planning early. This will give you more time to dispose of things correctlyrecycle or donate anything you no longer need. 

  • Donate any unwanted items - to charity and you may be able to give any food left in your cupboards to a local food bank. Food banks in Canterbury include Canterbury Food Bank and FareShare

When will I get my deposit back?

After leaving the property, your landlord should write to you if they want to make any deductions from your deposit.

Your tenancy agreement will outline when you can expect to get your deposit back. If the deductions are reasonable and you agree, you simply email back and let them know.

If you don’t agree, don’t feel pressured to accept it. You can try and compromise with your landlord yourself but you can also have your case passed to the deposit protection service.

Simply tell your landlord that you don’t accept their proposal and you want your case passed to the deposit protection services. Some schemes have deadlines so do this sooner rather than later. Alternatively contact the scheme yourself.

If you are disputing your deposit, here’s a more detailed guide.

Last updated