Articles and book chapters
Articles and chapters available from the British Library will be supplied in digital format (unless you requested a printed copy). Once the document is available, you'll get an email with the link to the document.
To access your item you need to:
- be online; if your default browser is Google Chrome, you either need to disable the Chrome PDF viewer plugin, or use Internet Explorer or Firefox on this occasion
- register for BLDSS (British Library Document Supply Service); we recommend you register before you receive your document (you only have to do this once)
- log into the document with your BLDSS username and password; don't tick "Remember me on this computer" if you're using a shared computer
- use Adobe Reader 10 (or above) to open the pdf (available on student PCs and Staff Managed Desktops)
- download and save the document within 30 days of the original email or it will expire; click File, then Save As and save to a networked folder, memory stick, or your own PC or laptop
There are some restrictions to your use of the document, due to copyright legislation:
- you can only print one copy and may not make further copies
- you may not make further electronic copies, convert the file to any other format, or copy and paste from it
- once downloaded/saved, the document will "self-destruct" after 3 years
If the article or chapter you've requested isn't available in digital format, or you have requested a printed version, it will be supplied as a photocopy.
We'll email you when your item is here. Please collect it from the IT & Library Support Desk during staffed hours and bring your KentOne card as ID.
Books, theses and other loan items
Collecting your item
We'll email you when your item is here. Please collect it from the IT & Library Support Desk during staffed hours and bring your KentOne card as ID. Only the person who has requested the item can collect it. If you can't collect it within 7 days, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some books and theses are lent to us on the condition that they are only used within the Library. Please don't take them in the café, keep them in your carrel, or leave them unattended.
You can borrow the item from the IT & Library Support Desk each day, but must return it before the desk closes - see the opening hours.
Renewals, returns, and recalls
Books are issued to you as 7 day loans and will automatically renew up to 5 times. We'll send you a final email reminder the day before you need to return the book. You should also check your Library account regularly for due dates.
A document delivery book can be recalled from you if the lending institution needs it back. In that case, it can't be renewed and you have to return it by the due date.
The fine for late returns is £2 per day per item.
Return document delivery items to the Templeman Library IT & Library Support Desk during staffed hours - do not use the self-return machine.
Lost or damaged items
If an item you have borrowed is lost, damaged, or not returned, the lending institution will levy a charge, which we are obliged to pass on to you. This may include replacement costs and administration fees.
Find out all the ways you can get in touch