Say goodbye to library fines!
We will no longer charge fines on overdue loan items from 3 February. This improvement to our library services is one of many to support you during the cost-of-living crisis.
How to borrow
Use a Borrow & Renew machine, available throughout the building, or ask for help at the IT & Library Support Desk.
Borrowing works the same during vacations as in term time.
What you can borrow
Current students and staff: 40 items in any format (books, multimedia, journals, ...).
- 7 day loans: most items, including journals and document delivery books
- 3 day loans: high demand and multimedia items
- reference items: you can only use these in the library.
7 day loans and 3 day loans will be automatically renewed until someone else reserves them or you return them. Document delivery books will be automatically renewed up to 5 times.
Part-time students and students with Inclusive Learning Plans (ILPs)
You get library items for longer, find out more about extended loans.
Use the Place Reservation button in LibrarySearch to get hold of an item:
- that's on loan
- from the Store or Reserve Collection (Kent Request Access)
- from the Drill Hall Library (it may take up to 3 working days for these items to become available).
We'll email you when you can collect or view your item.
Where to pick up your item
When you reserve a 3 day loan or a 7 day loan, you can set which library you want to collect it from - Templeman or Drill Hall.
- The Reservations Pick-up point in the Templeman Library is in the Welcome Hall.
- The Reservations Pick-up point in the Drill Hall Library is by the self-service machines.
For some items, you need to go elsewhere:
- document delivery: the IT & Library Support Desk
- theses: the IT & Library Support Desk
Manage your loans, return dates and fines
Regularly log into your LibrarySearch account to keep an eye on your loans.
If someone else reserves an item you have on loan we'll email you. If this happens you must return the item on time, or your library account will be placed on hold and you won’t be able to borrow any more items until it is returned, or, if lost, the replacement cost of the item paid.
Other items you have borrowed will continue to automatically renew on your account.
If you do not return an overdue item within 14 days, we consider that item lost and you will be charged for the replacement costs.
only charge you if you:
- don't return a document delivery book by the final due date
- lose or damage a book
The charge for a lost book is the replacement cost of the book, plus a processing fee of £5.70.
How to pay
You can pay charges on your account, eg lost books, lost locker keys.
- In the Library:
- card / contactless / KentOne Card at the Templeman Library Welcome Desk, Block C, Ground Floor
- Online (on and off campus): credit/debit card: log into your account, go to the Fines tab and click Pay now.
How to return books
Please return items at the external book drop by the Library Road entrance or use the returns machine in the Welcome Hall.
When the library is closed
Use the external book drop near the Library Road entrance.
To return an item by post
Please use a secure postal method or courier (they are sometimes cheaper) and send your books to:
University of Kent
Problems with your library account
Can't return a book
If you've lost a book, or we're asking you to return a book you've already returned or never borrowed, let us know.
Log in to LibrarySearch and click on My Account to view your currently checked out items. Click the Report a problem link to give us the details.
KentOne card not working
If your KentOne card isn't working at a self-service machine, please contact us.
Can't borrow new items
Do you have an outstanding item that has been recalled? Your library account will be placed on hold and you won’t be able to borrow items until it is returned, or if lost, the replacement cost of the item paid.
Find out all the ways you can get in touch: