We know that two key areas of concern for young independent students include the level of financial support available and the availability of out of term-time accommodation. The Kent Young Independent Students Pack has been designed with these areas of concern in mind.
With the exception of the guaranteed access to accommodation, the Young Independent Students Package is delivered in a student's first year only.
What does the Young Independent Funding Pack include?
The Young Independent Funding Pack includes:
- Guaranteed access to accommodation for the duration of your course, including the summer vacation, subject to remaining in good financial standing with the University
- A one-off, £600 cash bursary towards the costs of starting life at University
- A one-off payment of £100 towards graduation costs for students who attend their graduation ceremony
- We may be able to provide provision for travel in advance to attend University interviews. (This must be applied for at least one week in advance).
What is the eligibility criteria?
You may apply for the support package if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a new, undergraduate student
- You are a UK home fee paying student
- You are under 20 years of age
- You have been in receipt of Universal Credit income support whilst in full-time education before starting at Kent
- You can provide documentation to prove that you were in receipt of Universal Credit income support for a minimum of six months immediately before starting at Kent
How do I apply?
The Young Independent Application Form for the academic year 2023/24 is available here.
PLEASE NOTE: All applications and queries should be made by email to FinancialAid@kent.ac.uk
If you would like to apply for provision for travel to attend an interview please email your details to FinancialAid@kent.ac.uk at least one week prior to your interview date.
What other funding can I apply for?
The Kent Young Independent Student Pack is available to students in addition to any other support they may receive from other sources.
Full-time and part-time undergraduate students are able to apply to Student Finance England for a tuition fee loan to cover the costs of study and a maintenance loan for general living costs.
Kent Financial Support Package
At Kent, we believe that all students who have the academic potential to benefit from our courses should have the opportunity to come to the University and we have established one of the most generous financial support schemes in the UK. Learn more about the Kent Financial Support Package.