Care leaver funding

We are committed to offering support to care leavers, to help you through your journey at university.

A care leaver is someone who has been in the care of the Local Authority for a period of 13 weeks or more spanning their 16th birthday.

We know that two key areas of concern for young care leavers include the level of financial support available and the availability of out of term-time accommodation. The Kent Care Leavers Pack has been designed with these areas of concern in mind.

With the exception of the guaranteed access to accommodation, the Care Leavers Package is delivered in a student's first year only.

What does the Kent Care Leavers Pack include?

The Care Leavers Pack includes:

  • Guaranteed access to accommodation for the duration of your course, including the summer vacation, subject to remaining in good financial standing with the University
  • A one-off, £600 cash bursary towards the costs of starting life at University
  • A one-off payment of £100 towards graduation costs for students who attend their graduation ceremony
  • We may be able to provide provision for travel in advance to attend University interviews. (This must be applied for at least one week in advance).

What is the eligibility criteria?

You may apply for the support package if you meet the following criteria:

  • You are a new, undergraduate student
  • You are a UK home fee paying student
  • You are under 25 years of age
  • You have spent a minimum of 13 weeks in the care of a UK local authority with at least one day being since the age of 14, including on or after your 16th birthday.
  • You can provide written documentation from your personal adviser or social worker to support your status.

How do I apply?

The Care Leaver Application Form for the academic year 2023/24 is available here.

PLEASE NOTE: All applications and queries should be made by email to

If you would like to apply for provision for travel to attend an interview please email your details to at least one week prior to your interview date.

What other funding can I apply for?

The Kent Care Leavers Pack is available to students in addition to any other support you may receive from other sources.

Student loans

Full-time undergraduate students are able to apply to Student Finance England for a tuition fee loan to cover the costs of study and a maintenance loan for general living costs.

As a care leaver you are likely to be asked to provide a letter from your local authority to confirm your previous care arrangements.

Kent Financial Support Package

At Kent, we believe that all students who have the academic potential to benefit from our courses should have the opportunity to come to the University and we have established one of the most generous financial support schemes in the UK. Learn more about the Kent Financial Support Package.

Last updated