Take a look at our Arrivals Guide It has lots of useful information for arriving at the Canterbury and Medway campuses.
EU/EEA students (excluding the UK)
EU/EEA passport or national identity card (both sides required)
International passport and immigration permission/visa*
*If you have previously been issued with immigration permission for the UK, we will require one of the following (but not limited to) documents:
- the current UK visa in your passport
- current Biometric Residence Permit (both sides required)
- Immigration Status Document
- Home Office documents.
All details are on our Arrange your travel to Kent page
Once you’ve activated your Kent IT Account you should set Kent Wi-Fi on your laptop, phone and tablet – do this before you arrive on campus, so you’re all set!
Bring a network cable if you’re coming to live on the Canterbury campus. The wired internet in your room will be more reliable than Wi-Fi. Also you’ll need the cable to get your games console online (games consoles aren’t compatible with our secure Wi-Fi network).
Read our guide to opening a UK bank account.
If you are unable to bring all your personal items when you arrive, make sure your belongings arrive after you have checked into your accommodation as there is no space for storing luggage at the University.
Storage firms and removal companies can store luggage during vacations and, for international students, they will also often send your belongings from your home country to Kent, if you choose to send them in advance.
Absolutely! We have plenty of secure bike shelters and other facilities for cyclists and there are some great cycling routes around the local areas.
Please use the bike shelters provided as you're not allowed to keep your bike in your room or stored in corridors..
Your own Wi-Fi router, as you won’t be able to use this in campus accommodation. You won’t need it to access the free campus Wi-Fi.
Large items, or too much stuff!
Food and plant produce from outside the EU
Fridges (unless required for medical purposes)
Are you living in Becket Court, Eliot College or Keynes College?
You'll have a kitchenette supplied with a microwave and a kettle, so don't bring saucepans or lots of kitchen equipment; just cutlery and small basic items.
Please check the Accommodation Handbook for a full list of prohibited items.
- Bed with mattress, mattress protector and one pillow (no pillow in Woolf College). Bed sizes are dependent on room type, please refer to our bedding sizes information to find out more.
- Ample storage space
- Desk and desk chair
- Notice board
- En-suite bedrooms include a shower, toilet, basin and mirror
and a wired internet connection.
All self-catered kitchens include:
- Sink with drainer
- Fridge freezer/s
- Iron and ironing board
- Mop and bucket
- Broom, dust pan and brush
- Vacuum cleaner
Types of ovens
Electric hobs and ovens
- Darwin, Keynes, Turing Colleges and Tyler Court A
Gas hobs and ovens
- Tyler Court B and C (excluding Tyler Court B, Flat 3 and Tyler Court C, Flats 7 and 8 which have induction ovens, see below)
- Park Wood: Bishopden Court, Clowes, Homestall Court, Purchas Court, Marley Court, Thornden Court, Tudor Court, and Willows Court
- Tyler Court B, Flat 3 and Tyler Court C, Flats 7 and 8. You'll need to bring induction or heavy-bottomed pans if you're living in these flats.
Gas hobs and electric ovens (Park Wood)
- Bossenden Court, Denstead Court, Ellenden Court, Farthings Court, Grimshill Court, Kemsdale Court, Lypeatt Court, Nickle Court, and Stock Court.
Yes. If you're going to be living on the Canterbury campus, you can order a range of items from UniKitOut that can be delivered directly to the University. More about UniKitOut, including how to order and order deadlines.
- 4ft double bed with mattress and mattress protector
- Desk with drawers, desk chair and desk lamp
- Notice board and bookshelves
- En-suite shower, toilet and basin
- Wired and wireless internet.
All kitchens include:
- Electric oven with grill and four-ring hob/extractor fan
- Dining table and chairs
- Fridge freezer/s
- Sinks with drainer
- Vacuum cleaner and ironing board
- Mop, bucket, broom, dustpan and brush
- Rubbish bin.