What is Car Sharing?
Car sharing is when two or more people share a car and travel together. With over 38 million empty seats on the UK's roads every day it is now starting to be widely recognised that car sharing could be the solution to many of the UK's transport problems.
Why Car Share?
- It can save you money
- It can reduce pollution from car emissions
- It gives you company on your journey
- It can reduce local congestion on roads and in car parks
- It can save you time
- It can be safer (e.g. having company if you breakdown) and less stressful than doing all the driving yourself
- The online database could help you find someone to ask for a lift, if your car is in the garage or otherwise unavailable
- You can network and make new friends
- It can reduce the use of limited fossil fuels
How can I find someone to car share with?
In support of the University Travel Plan, we have teamed up with The University of Greenwich and Canterbury Christ Church University to develop a private online car share scheme for staff and students via LiftShare.
To register with the scheme you will need your University email address and details of your journey(s). Once you have registered a journey the software will look for other members with a suitable match and alert you. It is then up to you to get in contact and make arrangements. You don't have to be offering a lift, you can also register as someone looking for a lift (or both). The more people that register journeys the better chance of finding a convenient match.
How do I apply for a car share parking permit?
You can apply for a car share permit as a 'team' at the reduced price of £15 per member. You can use any parking space in accordance with the Regulations for the Management of Traffic and the car share guidelines.
Currently car share permits are operated on the old parking system (paper permit). If a member of the team needs to bring another car onto campus, in addition to the car share vehicle being used that day, occasional user permits (OUPs) are available, in accordance with the car share guidelines.
Please ensure you read the guidelines and download and complete an application form, which must be sent to the Transport Team, Security and Transport Centre, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NQ