What to bring to campus
The PCs, laptops, phones, tablets and games consoles you can use at Kent
Mobiles and tablets
To be able to connect, your device needs to support WPA2 Enterprise/AES encryption (and most do). As a guide, it needs to have one of these operating system versions (or its latest equivalent) with all security and system updates:
- Apple phones and tablets: iOS 8 and above
- Google Nexus devices, most Samsung devices, some HTC phones and some branded tablets (eg Kindle Fire): Android 6 and above
- Nokia, and some HTC phones: Windows Phone 8 and 10
If your device isn't receiving security updates anymore, you're not allowed to use it on our network. You should also use a PIN or password.
Laptops, Macs and PCs
Only secure and supported operating systems are allowed on our network: Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10, and Mac OS 10.10 and above. Linux may work but we can't provide user support.
- Your PC/laptop needs current anti-virus software with regular system updates.
- As a Kent student you’re eligible for free or discounted software such as Microsoft Office for your laptop.
- Canterbury bedrooms have wired internet (as well as WiFi) so bring a network cable (ethernet cable) with you.
- Games consoles in student accommodation
- Printing: if you plan to bring a printer, you can’t use it on our WiFi. You need one that you can connect by cable to your laptop (and remember to bring the cable!). You can also use student print/copy/scan machines on campus. There’s a small charge for printing.
If you're living at Liberty Quays you should be able to use a wireless printer and a games console. About your internet service: Ask4.