WiFi at Kent


What IT to bring to campus


Phones, tablets or laptops

These brands and models meet our security requirements:

Phones and tablets

To be able to connect to eduroam (University Wi-Fi) your device needs to meet our security requirements and offer WPA2 Enterprise/AES encryption.

Most devices meet these standards. To make sure your does, bring a device that has one of these operating systems and has anti-virus protection:

  • iOS 9 or newer (Apple phones and tablets)
  • Android 6 or newer (Google, Samsung, some HTC and other phone/tablet brands like Kindle Fire)
  • Windows 10 (Nokia, and some HTC phones)

If your device isn't receiving security updates anymore, you're not allowed to use it on our network. You should also use a PIN or password.

Advice on free anti-virus protection


Laptops, Macs and PCs

Only secure and supported operating systems are allowed on our network:

  • Windows 7, 8.1, 10 and RT 8.1
  • Mac OS 10.10 and newer
  • Linux may work but we can't provide user support

Your PC/laptop needs current anti-virus software with regular system updates.

You can borrow a Windows laptop in the Templeman Library and Drill Hall Library.

Internet and email safety

Get free anti-virus software and advice to help you not fall for email scams: protect yourself from online threats

Canterbury campus residents

You need a network/Ethernet cable

Bring a network/Ethernet cable to use the wired internet in your bedroom. Wired internet is essential for studying, watching TV or gaming (see our games consoles advice). It's fast and reliable as there's no risk of interference.

If you forget to bring a cable with you, you can ask for one at the IT & Library Support Desk in the Templeman Library.


To use the internet on your TV you'll need a network/Ethernet cable. You need your own TV licence to cover your room.

Do I need a printer?

You can use student print/copy/scanners on campus for a small charge. If you want to use a printer in a campus bedroom, you'll need its cable to connect it to your laptop/PC as you can't connect it using campus Wi-Fi.

Do I need special software?

Depending on your course you might be asked to use specialist software. Student PCs across campus offer the essential course-related software you'll need. In addition, as a Kent student you’re eligible for free or discounted software such as Microsoft Office.

University of Kent - © University of Kent

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 764000

Last Updated: 13/09/2017