Safety tips

Walking home

Best way to stay safe at night is to stick with your friends. But if you find yourself on your own, here are some tips:

  • If on campus, use our night-time walking taxi service by contacting Campus Security
  • Get a registered taxi – save some money for the end of the night, so you can be brought straight home – it’s much safer and easier
  • Get the night bus, the Uni2. Stagecoach provides a night bus until 04.35 and the route includes campus colleges and the local area.
  • Get a free personal safety alarm from Campus Security
  • Keep your valuables hidden – cover-up expensive looking jewellery, mobiles, keys, cash and cards
  • Stick to well-lit and busy areas. Avoid car parks and underpasses
  • Stay alert - don't walk home on the phone or listening to music

Dangerous drinks

Avoid getting spiked by following these safety measures:

  • Don’t leave your drink unattended
  • Never accept a drink from a stranger or someone you don’t trust
  • If you feel ill, slightly drunk or wasted when you know you shouldn’t, your drink could have been spiked. If so, tell someone you trust and get to a safe place

Safety in the home

  • Check you’ve got smoke alarms and test them regularly
  • Keep exits clear
  • Be careful cooking – more than half of fires start in the kitchen
  • Stub cigarettes out properly and dispose of carefully
  • Close your doors at night
  • Switch off electrical appliances when you’re not using them
  • Make sure you have a gas safety certificate. Your landlord is legally obliged to make sure all the appliances in the house are safe
  • Fire safety advice from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

Protect against crime

  • Take out contents insurance on all your belongings
  • Keep valuables out of sight
  • Don’t keep spare keys hidden anywhere obvious
  • Security mark your valuables
  • When you go on holiday take your valuables with you and tell your neighbours
  • Report incidents to the police. You will need the crime reference number to make an insurance claim
Last updated