The University has a range of emergency financial support for students who are in financial difficulty. Take a look at all our emergency funds below. At the bottom of this page you can find additional ways to access support if you are experiencing emergency financial hardship.

Emergency Short Term Loan (ESTL)

Emergency Short Term Loans (ESTL), from the Access to Learning Fund, are available to Home UK students who have made their application to Student Finance England, but who have yet to receive their first instalment of their funding.  

Learn more about Emergency Short Term Loans

Kent Emergency Student Loan (KESL)

Kent Emergency Student Loans (KESL) are available to all undergraduate and postgraduate, Home, EU or International, full time or part time students, who find themselves in temporary financial difficulties.  

Learn more about Kent Emergency Student Loan

Access to Learning Fund (ALF): Summer Term

The Access to Learning Fund provides discretionary financial assistance for UK students to access and remain in higher education.

This is a limited fund and applicants are means tested, so we cannot guarantee that you will receive an award, but if you are experiencing financial difficulty, speak to an adviser in the Student Advice Centre, who can help you apply.

Learn more about the Access to Learning Fund

European Financial Support (EFS)

The European Financial Support fund (EFS) can provide discretionary financial assistance to all full time non-UK students registered at the University of Kent and eligible to pay tuition fees at the ‘EU’ rate, and all non-UK University of Kent students (including overseas rate fee-payers) studying abroad as part of their degree programme.  

Learn more about European Financial Support

International Hardship Fund (IHF)

The University of Kent has a small hardship fund to provide emergency support for full-time students assessed as paying fees at the Overseas rate who are already registered on degree programs at the University and who experience unexpected financial hardship during their study.  

Learn more about the International Hardship Fund
Last updated