Software for students and staff
The University pays for software to support your work and studies.
Undergraduates / taught postgraduates: Office 365 is free for you
You can use Word, PowerPoint, Excel and the rest of the Office 2016 suite on:
- up to 5 laptops/computers (Windows or Mac).
- up to 5 tablets and phones (Windows, Android or iOS).
How long can I use it?
As long as you're a member of the University.
Your eligibility may be re-verified at any time; when it expires you can view files but can't edit or create new documents.
Install Office 2016 on a Windows or Mac laptop / computer
- Visit www.office.com from your laptop or computer and click Sign in.
- Enter your Kent email address. If prompted, enter your Kent IT account username and password.
- Click Install Office apps and then Office 2016.
Install Office 2016 on a tablet or phone:
- Open the App Store or Google Play
- Search for Office 365. The apps are by Microsoft Corporation.
- Install the app that you want
- Open the app and swipe through the introduction screens until you reach Sign in now
- Sign in with your Kent IT account username, in the format firstname.lastname@example.org, and password
If you teach
If you don't teach
Microsoft Office is not available at a reduced price. Check Office 365 University for Microsoft software available to you.
On your tablet/phone
You can download Office 365 apps (by Microsoft Corporation) for free, but you can't connect them to your Kent IT Account.
Buy Microsoft Office at a reduced rate.
Study-related software you can download
Download study-related software including:
- Microsoft Windows 10 Education (upgrade only)
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- IBM SPSS
If you prefer a disc ask at the Welcome Desk in the Templeman Library.
If you need to renew your licence here are the licence codes.
Assistive technology: study your way
Free productivity tools to help you save time, write well and study in a variety of ways.
Manage your references with Refworks: create, store and re-use bibliographical information in essays and dissertations.
Anti-virus and malware software: free software and advice.
Ask about other software
If you need software that isn't on a student or staff PC, speak to your local IT staff or contact helpdesk.
Email email@example.com with any software-related issues.