Software for students and staff
The University pays for software to support your work and study.
Undergraduates / taught postgraduates: Office 365 is free for you
You can use Word, PowerPoint, Excel and the rest of the Office 2016 suite on:
- up to 5 laptops/PCs/Macs
- up to 5 tablets and phones (Windows, Android or iOS).
How long can I use it?
As long as you're a member of the University.
Your eligibility may be re-verified at any time; when it expires you can view files but can't edit or create new documents.
Install Office365 on a laptop, PC or Mac:
- log into your student email account at Office 365: https://live.kent.ac.uk
- click on Office 365 in the top left corner
- click the Install software button
Install Office365 on a tablet or phone:
- Open the App Store or Google Play
- Search for Office 365. The apps are by Microsoft Corporation.
- Install the app that you want
- Open the app and swipe through the introduction screens until you reach Sign in now
- Sign in with your Kent IT account username, in the format email@example.com, and password
If you teach
If you don't teach
Microsoft Office is not currently available at a reduced price. Check Office 365 University for Microsoft software available to you.
On your tablet/phone
You can download Office 365 apps (by Microsoft Corporation) for free, but you can't connect them to your Kent IT Account.
Buy Microsoft Office at a reduced rate.
Software you can download
- Microsoft Windows 10 Education (upgrade only)
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- IBM SPSS
- and others - follow the link above to check what's available
If you want the software on disc ask at the Welcome Desk in the Templeman Library.
Renew your software licence
If you're using software that expires soon, you'll need to renew your licence.
Software on student and staff PCs
Our standard student and staff PCs offer a large range of software.
If you need specialist software that isn't installed on your machine, please speak to your local IT staff or contact helpdesk.
- Reference management software - Refworks: create, store and re-use bibliographical information in essays and dissertations.
- Anti-virus and malware software: free software and advice.
- Productivity and assistive technology
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any software-related issues.