Place your requests through Moodle and we'll process them for you. We work within the restrictions of the CLA Higher Education licence, which is underpinned by UK copyright law.
What you need to do
You only need to request new scans. That’s because scans in the most recent version of the module will be carried over automatically.
Allow 4-6 weeks for us to process your requests.
- Go to the relevant module in Moodle 2020 to request your scan.
- In the relevant section, select CLA Extract Book or Journal from the 'Add a resource' drop-down list or from the activity chooser.
- Complete the resulting form.
- You need to submit a separate request for each block of pages, for example pp 9-13 and pp 15-20, even if they are from the same book.
- Make sure you mention any alternative format requirements.
- Enter the ‘Week required’ on the scan form. That’s the week your students need to read it and we'll use this information to prioritise requests.
What you can request
Because of COVID-19, the CLA have increased the limit for copying up to 20% or 2 chapters from each source until 31 July 2021, but there are some conditions.
The main entitlement (the first 10%/chapter) and the additional entitlement will be treated differently.
You can request up to 10% or a chapter (whichever is greater) from each source per module, for example:
- 10% or a whole chapter of a book
- 10% or a whole article, from a single issue of a journal
- 10% or a whole article, from a set of conference proceedings
- 10% of a short story or poetry anthology or one short story or one poem of not more than 10 pages
- 10% or one single case, from a published report of judicial proceedings.
You can request a second chapter or an additional 10% (whichever is greater), subject to the following conditions:
- no digital edition is available for the Library to buy
- only books from participating publishers qualify for the additional entitlement
- anthologies, plays or poetry are excluded.
Check the CLA webpages for full details.
What you can't request
Some types of material can't be requested under the CLA licence, for example:
- printed music including the words
- maps and charts
How to request the additional entitlement
Submit two separate requests in Moodle and indicate which is the second scan request by entering COVID-19 in the ‘Notes to Librarian’ field.
The second scan request will only be available until 31 July 2021 and will be deleted from Moodle after this date, in accordance with the terms of the CLA licence.
The scan from your main entitlement (the original 10%) will remain in Moodle.
What happens next
When you've made a request, a placeholder will appear in the Moodle section, which will be replaced with the scanned extract once it has been uploaded. We'll email when this has been done.
If we can't provide a scan (for example if the item is excluded from the CLA licence), we'll email you and remove the placeholder from Moodle.
We'll try to provide the best quality scan possible, but this will depend on the condition of the original text. If you have any concerns about the standard of a scan email email@example.com.
- For more information about making requests, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- To ask about the progress of your request, email: email@example.com
- Moodle help
Find out all the ways you can get in touch: