A big part of student life is working out how you can make your student loan stretch.
Here are some tips and tools to help you save money on the day to day things.
- Keep track of your spending – our budget calculator is a really helpful tool for managing your money.
- Get a discount – take your student discount card with you everywhere you go and always ask if there are any student offers.
- There are several sites offering a range of vouchers – a good site is the Money Saving Expert.
- Make a shopping list and stick to it! Plan your meals for the week and write a shopping list. This will stop you from impulse buying.
- And don't go shopping hungry - you will just end up buying more than you need!
- If you can, get a job – we understand this is easier said than done, but the Jobshop is an excellent service hooking up hundreds of students with jobs every year.
- Visit the employability webpages for advice on getting a job.
- Turn off lights and electrical devices – and only have the heating on when you are in. This will help keep your bills down.
- Also, remember to register any meter readings with the utility companies when you move in so you don’t get stung by any unpaid bills leftover by the old tenants.
- Get help! If you’re having financial worries don’t suffer in silence. There are plenty of people you can go to for advice.