Go Abroad
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image

Work abroad

Develop essenital employability skills and to deepen your knowledge and understanding of your subject. Put into practice what you have learnt in the lecture theatre, in an international context.

Working abroad as part of your degree:

If you are on a degree programme that includes a placement year/year in industry, you have the opportunity to work abroad in your third year. If your degree does not already include this, you may be able to add it or switch to a degree which does include a placement year/year in industry.

Use our course search to view a list of programmes with a year in industry. The Placement Office in your school at Kent will provide useful information and guidance about finding a suitable placement.

Work placement approval

When you have found a placement, you must send all the details to your Academic School's Placement Officer for consideration. The placement Officer will tell you if the placement can be approved or not. The School will need to make sure that your particular workplace is safe and secure. In order to do this, they may visit your potential employer, or at the very least have a telephone conversation with them about your proposed work and environment. If you want to work in a region that has civil unrest or other significant events that could impact your safety, your School will liaise with the Insurance Office and other relevant departments before making a decision.

Research Council opportunities for postgraduates

Arts and Humanities Research Council International Placement Scheme.

Vacation work placements:

Would you like to gain international experience, enhance your employability and earn Employability Points? Why not use your vacation time to work abroad? A lot of companies run internship programmes and there are opportunities for voluntary work/unpaid work with charities and NGOs.


If you find a vacation work placement in another European country which is at least two months’ long, you may be eligible for Erasmus+ funding. Current rates of funding are between 470 and 520 Euros per month depending on the country you will be working in.

Contact the Erasmus Team for an application form.

Application deadline: 31 May 2020.

Work permits and visas

It is best to find out as early as possible if you will need a work permit or specific type of visa to enter and/or work in your host country. Your employer/host organisation may be able to advise or assist you but you should also check with the embassy or consulate of the country.

Visas can also take a long time to obtain so start this process as early as possible. There may also be a charge involved.

Evidence that you are a registered student

Many countries require companies to obtain proof that the student is indeed a student on an approved higher education course. You can request a status letter online or ask your School or the Careers and Employability Service if additional details are required. 

Language skills

Many companies work in English, and you may well possess language skills beyond this. However, if you cannot speak the language of the country that you wish to work in, consider taking a language module as part of your credits or as an extra-curricular class. Kent offers students the chance to study a range of languages as part of your degree, or as an optional extra through the Language Express programme.

Useful links:

Careers and Employability Service



The Erasmus Student Network's ErasmusIntern website provides an integrated market place to bring together traineeship providers and students seeking a training opportunity abroad. 

International Partnerships

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 824191

Last Updated: 12/02/2020