Go Abroad


Applying to Go Abroad:

When is the deadline to add a term/year abroad to my degree?

You can potentially add a Year/Term Abroad to your degree after you have started at Kent.

Students who wish to add the Year/Term abroad element to their degree need to do so before the end of Week 5 in your second year. Please contact your academic school's Student Support Advisor as soon as possible for advice on how to proceed.

Can I extend my visa to do the Year Abroad

International students wishing to add a Year Abroad to their course will be approved on a case by case basis in accordance with UK immigration regulations and the University’s Tier 4 policy on Academic Progression and Change of Course. Students also need to be aware that they may need to return home overseas to apply for a new visa to add the year to their degree.

The University expects students to make a new immigration application, in their normal place of residence (overseas), before their visa runs out to ensure they have immigration permission.

What are the costs/fees involved and is there any funding available?

Visit our Go Abraod Costs and funding page for details

Are there any they any academic requirements involved?

In most cases, Kent students must meet the academic requirements set by their School or Faculty in order to study/work abroad. The exceptions to this rule are currently the Single/Joint Honours Language programmes for which the Year Abroad is obligatory. Please contact your School or Faculty for more information.

I am applying for a three year degree within Humanities. Can I go abroad

For Humanities students, if the degree is not listed on UCAS as having a Year or Term Abroad option, you can usually add it after arrival by talking to your School, if you meet the necessary criteria. This is because the Faculty of Humanities allows their students to add a Year or Term Abroad to degrees within that Faculty.

If you are interested in this option, you should consider the exchanges that are offered for your particular subjects.

Can I study at a partner university that is not offered for my subject?

This is not usually possible because the exchanges are linked to specific subject areas and have been approved by the appropriate Schools at Kent. The university you are considering may not offer suitable modules at an appropriate level or be able to accept exchange students outside the subject of the exchange. In some cases, there are also language requirements.

If you are doing a Joint Honours degree in Humanities, you could look at the destinations offered for both subjects.

If you are doing a Humanities degree which does not have specific destinations, please contact the Go Abroad team to discussion suitable options.

What if the university teaches in a language I am not currently studying at Kent?

Priority for places on exchanges which are taught in the host language will be given to students on degrees which require them to study that language.

You must demonstrate that you have reached at least B1 level in that language on the CEFR scale [3] in order for your application to be considered. B2 level is desirable. This is because of the challenges of studying at degree level in a second language.

Preparing to Go Abroad

What support will I get while abroad?

You will get academic and administrative support from Kent before, during and after the year abroad:

  • The Go Abroad team in International Partnerships who are responsible for all matters relating to study or work abroad.
  • The Student Support Adviser in your School who looks after matters relating to your academic progress and degree.
  • The Student Placement/Employability Officer in your School who provides advice and support for all work placements.

You will also get support from your host university or employer.


Do I need to set up a bank account abroad?

It is important to inform your bank that you will be spending the next academic year abroad. Failing to do this could result in your card or account being stopped (the bank might believe that your card/account is being used fraudulently.)

Whether, and when, to open a bank account in your host country depends very much on individual circumstances. Before making a decision, consult your UK bank for information about bank charges for using your card abroad, whether you can access internet banking while abroad (if you use this) and the costs of making bank transfers.

If you decide to open an account, remember to take proof of identification and of your university registration, if applicable. You may also be required to pay some money in immediately. Please note that in many European countries it is illegal to have an overdraft.

How will my time abroad be assessed?

Study/work abroad placements which are an official part of the degree are assessed using a pass/fail system

If you study abroad, you will receive a transcript from the host university which is used by your Kent School to assess whether you have passed/failed the year. Please contact your School for further information.

If you work abroad, your School will advise you on how they will assess your placement before you go abroad. Assessment may be through written work (for example, an essay or report), an evaluation provided by your supervisor, an oral presentation on your return to Kent, or a combination of all three.

Do I receive a transcript from my host university?

You will receive a transcript of marks from your host university at the end of the academic year or at the end of each semester. If you have taken an additional language course, you may also receive a certificate for that.

At the end of your study placement, you must remember to complete the host university’s procedures to obtain your transcript and make sure you have paid any debts as this could result in your transcript being withheld.

Your host university will send a transcript of your marks either to you or directly to International Partnerships. If it is sent to you, make sure you send a copy to the relevant team in International Partnerships. You will be asked to check that the transcript is correct to the best of your knowledge. If there are any errors or missing marks, you will then contact the host university to request a replacement transcript.

Please note that failing to register modules properly at the host university, or attending the wrong class, will result in missing marks and could result in you failing the study placement.
International Partnerships will then send the transcript to your School at Kent for the Pass/Fail mark to be decided.

International Partnerships

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 824191

Last Updated: 13/08/2019