Person Centred Active Support
The Tizard Centre is part of the University of Kent with a track record of excellence in research, teaching and consultancy in the area of intellectual and developmental disability. The Centre has been responsible for major contributions to supporting improved service provision for people with disabilities and those who support them particularly in relation to behaviour that challenges.
Our work on person centred active support
Training and consultancy related to active support can be commissioned from us to cover a variety of situations, with packages designed to suit individual Service needs. There are a number of different elements that can be included in any programme, these include:
- Senior management facilitated workshops, usually one day plus one day on-going support, to aid the development of implementation strategies
- One-day workshops: an introduction to PCAS for staff and managers
- Hands-on training: one to two days spent in a service providing training for staff through observation, modelling and feedback.
- Training for trainers: in addition to the one day workshop, training for trainers involves hands-on training and a final workshop focusing on training, practice leadership and implementation.
- Training for practice leaders: in addition to the one day workshop and hands-on training, training for practice leaders which includes opportunities to observe and give feedback as well as a third day focusing on practice leadership and implementation of active support.
- Training observers to support the monitoring and quality assurance processes
- Collection of baseline and follow-up data with analysis and a brief report
The nature and costs will vary depending on the size of the organisation, the number of staff to be trained and the experience/expertise of the Service.
Tizard Centre consultants and associates are able to provide consultancy via case by case or block contracts between the University and other organisations. Charges are made at an hourly or daily rate and travel and other costs will be charged in addition.