Search/browse theatre collections
Refine your search using these filters,
or supply your own search term or phrase.
- Communism and religion(2)
- Canterbury Cathedral, Canons Residentiary--Letter,1940(1)
- Canterbury Cathedral, Cathedral Chapter(1)
- Concentration camps--Germany(1)
- Johnson, Hewlett, 1874-1966--"Battle of the Deans", 1944(1)
- Johnson, Hewlett, 1874-1966--Attacks in the press(1)
- Johnson, Hewlett, 1874-1966--Letters of appreciation(1)
- Johnson, Hewlett, 1874-1966--Travels--Spanish Civil War(1)
- Johnson, Hewlett, 1874-1966--Writings--"Act Now"(1)
- Johnson, Hewlett, 1874-1966--Writings--"Soviet Sixth of the World"(1)
- Marshall Plan(1)
- Mindszenty, Jzsef, Cardinal,1892-1975--Trials, litigation, etc(1)
- Russo-Finnish War, 1939-1940(1)
- War crime trials--Germany--Nuremberg(1)
- War--Economic aspects--United States--History--20th century(1)
This file consists of 18 cuttings from various English newspapers reporting on the "Canons Letter" to the Times of March 1940 in which the Residentiary Canons of Canterbury Cathedral disassociated themselves from Johnson's views on the regime in the U.S.S.R. There are multiple copies of Hewlett Johnson's response in the News Chronicle, and thumbnail pcitures of the 5 canons in the Kent Messenger of March 16th, 1940.
This file consists of 28 cuttings from various papers mainly from England, U.S.A. and Canada, reporting Hewlett Johnson's relationship with Archbishop Fisher, and with other clerics here and abroad. The majority relate to 1947 when Fisher repudiated Johnson in the press, and a number of letters, "pro" and "anti" followed. There is a cartoon by Low.