Search/browse theatre collections
Refine your search using these filters,
or supply your own search term or phrase.
- Canterbury Cathedral, Canons Residentiary(1)
- Canterbury Cathedral, Preachers(1)
- Canterbury Cathedral, Vestments(1)
- Housing of the working classes in England and Wales(1)
- Johnson, Hewlett, 1874-1966--Chairman of Governors of King's School (Canterbury, England)(1)
- Johnson, Hewlett, 1874-1966--Clerical career in Manchester(1)
- Johnson, Hewlett, 1874-1966--Writings--"The Interpreter"(1)
This File contains correspondence between Johnson and Lambeth Palace (much of it directly with Archbishop Cosmo Gordon Lang) in the 1930s. It includes letters of reprimand from Lang to Johnson and it covers a range of topics that concerned Johnson in his role as Dean of Canterbury. Among them are: the suitability of preachers for Canterbury Cathedral, the wearing of vestments, the appointment of canons and the suppression of canonries, relationships with the King's School and its Headmaster, and the Statutes of the Cathedral and the King's School.