Film, TV and audio e-resources
You can access feature films, TV and radio programmes, video clips and stock footage online via these services:
Alexander Street Video: high quality educational videos on a vast range of subjects. Watch videos, save clips and make playlists. We have content from these collections:
- Filmakers Library Online
- Theatre in Video
- Ethnographic Video Online
- Education in Video
- All BUFVC (beta): nine large online databases of film, TV and radio content from 1896 onwards. You can search millions of records in one go, or one collection at a time. For fuller access click Please remember to login.
- Anthropology Online (includes Ethnographic Video Online): resource for the study of human culture and behavior, which allows researchers to explore a wide range of materials, from documentaries and field notes to written ethnographies and reference works.
- BBC Monitoring: key developments on major stories, as they happen, based on media reports from around the world.
- To login: click Log in, then click Login via Academic Institution. Click University of Kent and log in using your Kent IT account username and password.
- BoB - On Demand TV and Radio for Education (formerly Box of Broadcasts): allows you to view and record a vast number of TV and radio programmes, including films. To sign in, choose University of Kent from the list. You need to register the first time you use the service
- British Pathe News Archive: preview items from the entire 3500 hour British Pathe Film Archive, which covers news, sport, social history and entertainment from 1896 to 1970; free registration required
- British Library Sounds: over 90,000 selected recordings of music, spoken word, and human and natural environments
- British Library Sound Archive: features over 1 million discs, 185,000 tapes, and many other sound and video recordings from all over the world
- Chronicle (from BUFVC): BBC Northern Ireland's television news from the Sixties and Seventies
- Digital Theatre Plus: Online resource providing high-quality full-length films of leading British theatre productions plus interviews with the cast, the creative and production teams behind each show and documentaries
- To login: click Login (top right), click Login via your institution, select University of Kent and sign in with your Kent IT account.
- Education in Video (featuring Teachers TV videos): collection of streaming video for training and developing teachers; including teaching demonstrations, lectures, documentaries, and primary-source footage of students and teachers in classrooms
- Ethnographic Video Online: resource for the study of human culture and behavior in over 2700 videos; use it to explore a wide range of materials, from documentaries and field notes to written ethnographies and reference works. It includes these collections:
- Volumes I and II: foundational films
- Volume III: indigenous voices
- Volume IV: festivals and archives
- Teaching edition: a curriculum-aligned collection of videos and segments curated to support the teaching of introductory anthropology courses
- EUscreen: videos, stills, texts and audio from European broadcasters and audiovisual archives, with content from early 1900s onwards
- Filmakers Library Online: award-winning documentaries on a wide range of subjects, presenting points of view and historical and current experiences from cultures and traditions world-wide
- Kanopy streaming video service: includes over 30,000 documentaries, classic and indie films covering many subjects
- JoVE Science Education: Basic Biology: video library of lab demonstrations techniques in basic biology, useful for pre-lab preparation, teaching or revision
- MediaPlus (from Alexander Street; previously MediaHub): video, images and sound resources from many different collections
- includes: NewsFilm Online: 60,000 video clips from the archives of ITN and Reuters Television (1910-)
- Naxos Music Library (limited to 10 simultaneous users, so log out when finished): search and listen to over 100,000 CD-length recordings covering classical, jazz, world, classic rock and nostalgia music; includes libretti and biographies
- On Demand Audio and Video Programmes provided by the School of European Cultures and Languages (SECL): online access to a selection of films and television programmes in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and some non-European languages
- Screenonline (British Film Institute (BFI)): guide to British cinema and television history 1895-present. Includes moving image clips from film and television
- Theatre in Video: definitive performances of important plays, together with film documentaries, online in streaming video, representing hundreds of leading playwrights, actors and directors
If you have difficulty accessing online resources contact IT & Library Support for help