What is the Student Safe Taxi Scheme?
The scheme allows students who find themselves in a vulnerable situation to ensure they can reach their student accommodation or another destination, such as a Police Station or local hospital, quickly and safely. Students can request a taxi through the scheme even if they do not have the funds to pay the fare at the time of booking, as fares can be paid later on the Online Store.
All students are encouraged to sign up to the scheme in advance in case they ever find themselves in a situation where they need to use it. Registration is quick and simple and all students who register will be entitled to discounted taxi fares on all journeys with Longleys.
- If you find yourself in a vulnerable situation, perhaps you have become separated from your friends or have lost your purse or wallet, please call Longleys on 01227 710777 stating you wish to use the 'Student Safe Taxi Scheme'. Longleys will then ask you some questions to confirm your ID.
- Longleys will flag on their system as a Student Safe Taxi Scheme request.
- A Longleys taxi will then pick you up and ask you to confirm your name and show ID (where available) and drop you off at the required address
- Once you have been dropped off an email will be sent to you. If you haven't paid the fare, you will be asked to do so via a link to the Online Store.
Terms and Conditions
The Student Safe Taxi Scheme operates as follows:
- Only available to registered students with a valid ID card and student login
- Available 24 hours per day
- A maximum fare of £50.00
- The drop off point must be a student residential address, the University's Canterbury campus, a Police Station or hospital
- Any unpaid debt will be added to the student's University account
- Any misuse of the scheme may lead to the student being referred to their College Master for non-academic misconduct and their access to the SSTS revoked.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use the scheme if I haven't registered?
You should pre-register with Longleys to use the scheme. Click on the 'Sign up Now!' button. Remember all registered students are entitled to discount taxi fares on all taxi journeys with Longleys!
If you haven't registered for the scheme please contact Longleys on 01227 710777 and they will ask some questions to confirm you are a registered student of the University.
I had to use the scheme at the weekend but didn't have the money to pay the fare. What should I do?
You would have received an email from Longleys confirming the fare owed, with a link to the Online Store. Please click on the link, enter the amount owed and pay via the Online Store.
I've received the email requesting payment but don't have the money to pay this. What should I do?
Please contact CommunityLife@kent.ac.uk.
I've been charged for a fare at the weekend but I didn't use the scheme. What should I do?
Please contact CommunityLife@kent.ac.uk as soon as possible. Longleys would be asked to provide all the information they have relating to the fare, including CCTV footage, where available.