Specialist Wellbeing Support

Discrimination, Bullying and Hate Incidents

Kent has a Specialist Wellbeing Adviser for Discrimination, Bullying and Hate Incidents.

Getting support for bullying, discrimination and hate crimes

Nobody should have to experience situations where they are made to feel uncomfortable because of who they are. We are here to support you, to hear your experience and provide support.  

Are you safe?

If an incident has recently taken place, it is important to get yourself to a safe place. You may be experiencing shock, as well as many other different emotions. 

  • If you are in immediate danger, or in need of urgent medical attention, please contact 999 and ask for the police and/or ambulance. 
  • If you're on campus, you can call Campus Security (call their Emergencies number, 01227 823333). They can refer you for support from the Specialist Wellbeing Adviser for Discrimination, Bullying and Hate Incidents.

Report an incident

If you (or someone you know) has been (or thinks) they have been bullied, harassed or a victim of hate crime, you can use the REPORT + SUPPORT tool to report and get support.

The Specialist Wellbeing Adviser (Bullying, Discrimination, Hate Crime) will then be able to contact you and help you with the next steps.


Your confidentiality will be respected and information will not be shared beyond the relevant staff without your consent unless you or others are at significant risk. We do not report incidents to the police without the consent of the reporting person unless you or others are at significant risk.

If Campus Security has been informed of an incident then the relevant support staff will be informed. The support staff will then contact you to help you receive any information or support you need.

Anonymous reports to the University, including those via REPORT +SUPPORT will not instigate any part of an investigation process. Please note that providing an anonymous report will also mean that our Specialist Wellbeing Advisers will not be able to contact you with regards to support. 

There is never any pressure or judgement on students to report, and my main aim is to provide a safe space for students to talk about what they have been through.

Ally Staddon, Specialist Wellbeing Adviser (Bullying/Discrimination/Hate Crime)

Police Reporting

We are here for you. It is your decision if you want to make a report to the police.

The University will respect your decision about whether or not you wish to report the incident to the Police. The only exception to this will be if it is considered that, there is an ongoing risk to you or to members of the University community. 

If you are experiencing harassment, discrimination or hate violence, then you might want to consider reporting it to the police. If you decide to do this, and are not in need of urgent assistance or in danger, you can report by calling 101.

If you decide to make a report, this will be taken at your own pace and your involvement in it is voluntary throughout. You can discuss your reporting options with the Wellbeing Adviser (Bullying, Discrimination, Hate Crime). However, you do not have to make a report if you don’t want to.

Kent Police have more information on their website about reporting harassment and/or hate crimes. There is also information about reporting to Crimestoppers on the website, should you wish to make an anonymous report.

Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity

Visit the Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (EDI) pages to find out more about protected characteristics and Kent's commitments to EDI

Support from external organisations

In addition to the support from the University, we have a list of external organisations who might be able to help you.

Last updated