Applications for University of Kent undergraduate students (Canterbury or Medway) for September 2024 are now open.
Stage 2 - June 2024
Stage 3 - May 2024
The Year in a Language is open to all undergraduate students in the University and can be taken after stage 2 or 3 (that is, between your second and final year, or after your final year).
Learning a language is a rewarding and exciting experience that opens countless doors. Graduates who are independent users of a language other than English are considerably more likely to land their first job choice. Graduates with language skills can also seek jobs abroad – sometimes in their dream location!
Is the course for me?
The Year in a Language is suitable for you if you are a current Kent undergraduate and:
- You are fascinated by foreign cultures and languages
- You want a career that takes you abroad and puts you in contact with people from different cultures
- You want to learn a foreign language – a skill that is immensely valued by employers
- You want to challenge yourself with an intensive and exciting immersion in a different culture.
What will I study?
- Learn from native speakers and specialist teachers in our Language Centre
- Learn a new language, from absolute beginner to independent user
- Build your network and connect with international employers
- Access to media, cinema, literature, journalism resources in your language
- Network with invited scholars and professionals who are native speakers
How does the Year in a Language fit into my degree?
Learn French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, or Spanish to a solid intermediate level.
You will become an independent user of the language, tutored by native speakers and professional teachers who specialise in second language acquisition.
You will study the language intensively, with a full immersion that will involve speaking, reading, writing and listening in your new language.
If successful, when you graduate your degree title will include (subject) with a Year in French / German / Italian / Japanese / Mandarin / Spanish.
Am I eligible?
The year is available to any University of Kent undergraduate student (Canterbury or Medway) who has completed Stage 2 or 3 of their degree in any subject other than a modern language or a related joint honours degree.
For entry between Stage 2 and Stage 3, and for entry after Stage 3: applicants must be in good academic standing.
If your degree is accredited with a professional body, you will need to confirm with your home Division that this can include the option of a Year in a Language.
- Intensive Language Beginners
- Intensive Language Intermediate
I am an international student. Can I extend my visa to do the Year in Language?
International students wishing to add the Year in a Language will be approved on a case-by-case basis in accordance with UK immigration regulations and the University’s Tier 4 policy on Academic Progression and Change of Course.
Students also need to be aware that they may need to return to their home country to apply for a new visa to add the year to their degree.
Do you have any questions?
If you have any queries or would like to find out more about studying a Year in Language, then please email us, and we will be in touch shortly.