College and Community Life

Student Welfare and Community Life

Our team of Student Welfare and Community Life Officers are here to provide friendly, informal advice, support you with disputes in your accommodation and make referrals to specialist university and local support services.

Get in touch with Student Welfare and Community Life

No matter how big or how small, contact us to talk about what may be bothering you, especially when things feel too difficult to manage on your own. We will try to help you whenever we can.   We are available in person and via email, phone call, or Teams meeting.


  • Student Welfare (if living on campus) on 01227 827010
  • Community Life (if living in the community) on 01227 823141


Monday to Friday, 09:00-17:00. Locke Building, University of Kent, Canterbury CT2 7UG.

What do the Student Welfare and Community Life Team do?

The Student Welfare and Community Life Team are here to support you with your residential life in campus accommodation and the local community. We can support you with:


I enjoy supporting students here at Kent. I'm interested in connecting with people and learning more about them. I'm passionate about mindfulness, reducing waste wherever I can, and I like travelling, yoga, and pilates.

Miriam Zapp, Student Welfare Officer


I have a background in youth work, which has taught me to provide student support in a way that is defined and directed by the individual. I have a passion for travel, the arts, and sports and wellbeing activities.

Fiona Simpson, Student Welfare Officer

Exceptional Hardship Fund

Has something exceptionally challenging come up that you couldn't have planned for and need financial support with? The Exceptional Hardship Fund (EHF) from the Student Welfare Team is intended to provide quick, small financial support packages to address a specific, immediate emergency situation.

Free locker hire

Need somewhere to leave belongings on campus?

The Student Welfare Team have some lockers available for students to hire for free. They're located in Keynes College on the Canterbury campus.

Looking for mental health or emergency support?

If you are looking for more specialist support for mental health, chronic conditions, neurodiversity or disability, please visit the Student Support and Wellbeing webpage to find out more about how expert staff can support you when and how you need it.