Careers and Employability Service

What can I do with my degree in Modern Languages?

Modern Languages careers

This section has been written for all undergraduate and postgraduate students of Modern Languages at the University of Kent. It attempts to give a brief answer to the question: "What can I do with my degree?" and an overview of the many and varied ways in which you can use your language skills in a career. This information is also likely to be of interest to students of other subjects whose degree includes a language (such as English and French Law or Anthropology with a year in Japan) and to students who have a good knowledge of another language through their personal background even if they have never studied languages formally.

The occupations listed below are those where a degree (or fluency in) a language other than English is most likely to be an essential requirement for the job:

European Commission Administrator

Administrators in the European Commission, and other EU institutions, carry out a variety of roles which could involve drafting policy analysis, developing, implementing and monitoring projects and programmes across Europe, supporting decision-makers, managing human and financial resources and maintaining relations with EU Member States. There is an annual graduate recruitment scheme; graduates may also gain experience of the European institutions through six-month traineeships. A good knowledge of at least two European languages is required, one of which must be English, French or German.  

Job profile of a European Commission administrator from the TARGET Jobs website
European Personnel Selection Office 


Interpreters facilitate effective communication between speakers of different languages in settings which may include conferences, meetings, presentations and criminal justice proceedings.

Job profile of an interpreter from the Prospects website
Job profile of an interpreter from the TARGET Jobs website

I want to work in Translating and Interpreting

Secondary school teacher

To teach in state schools (excluding academies and free schools) in England and Wales, you must complete a period of “initial teacher training”, such as a one-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) course or school-centred training, which leads to Qualified Teacher Status. It is important to build up teaching-related experience during your undergraduate degree and to apply early for teacher training.

Job profile of a secondary school teacher from the Prospects website
Job profile of a secondary school teacher from the TARGET Jobs website
Get Into Teaching website from the Department for Education - explains the various routes into teaching

I want to work in Teaching


Translators convert written material from one languages into another (normally the translator’s mother tongue) ensuring that the meaning of the original is conveyed as clearly as possible. Most translations are of business, legal, scientific and technical documents.

Job profile of a translator from the Prospects website
Job profile of a translator from the TARGET Jobs website
I Want to Work In Translating and Interpreting

Please note that some of these careers may require further study.

For further information on these careers, see also:

People in some Modern Languages roles may be self-employed

Thank you to Prospects for the content on these pages.


Careers and Employability Service - © University of Kent

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7ND, T: +44 (0)1227 764000 ext. 3299

Last Updated: 13/04/2022