The University of Kent recognises its responsibility to carry out its procurement activities in an environmentally and socially responsible manner, and the considerable influence we have in using our buying power to encourage healthy and sustainable food production and consumption. With this in mind, April 2022 brought about the publication of the Sustainable Food Action Plan.
This action plan is our road map for increasing the sustainability of our food offering from field to fork and beyond, and has been co-written by Kent Hospitality, Kent Sport, The Gulbenkian and the Estates Department, along with the Kent Union Environment Officer and student and staff reps. The strategy supports the University's aim to embed the Sustainable Development Goals into our operations.
Reusable coffee cups
Help us to reduce the number of disposable cups going to landfill
Here at Kent we are committed to finding ways to reduce paper cup use. That’s why we’re encouraging staff, students and visitors to ditch the disposable cups and use a reusable alternative instead.
Switching to a reusable coffee cup is a great way to cut your plastic footprint. Each time you choose to re-use, even just once a week, you will be helping in the fight against single-use waste.
We want our customers to benefit from using a reusable cup, that’s why every time you use a reusable cup in one of our participating outlets, you’ll receive a large hot drink for the price of a small. So, as well as saving the planet, you’ll be saving your bank account too!
Participating outlets include:
- Bag It
- Dolche Vita
- Sibson Café
Don’t have a reusable cup yet?
Don’t worry! You can pick up one of our Kent branded reusable cups in a number of our outlets - there are four designs to choose from. Our reusable cups are on sale for £5, which includes a free hot drink!
Reusable water bottles
Free reusable water bottles have been provided to staff members and residential students living on campus.
Kent staff can collect water bottles at any of the following outlets upon showing their KentOne Card:
- Dolche Vita
- Sibson Café
Where can I refill my water bottle?
- Mungo’s Bar and Diner (Eliot College) – tap is behind counter, ask staff who will happily fill water bottle for you
- Create Café (Marlowe Building) – tap is behind counter, ask staff who will happily fill water bottle for you
- K-Bar (Keynes College) - tap is behind counter, ask staff who will happily fill water bottle for you
- Sibson Café (Sibson Building) – designated water station next to coffee machine
- Origins Bar & Grill (Darwin College) - tap is behind counter, ask staff who will happily fill water bottle for you
- Hut 8 (Turing College) - designated water station in service hatch
- Rutherford Dining Hall (Rutherford College) – designated water station in open fridge in the dining area
- Sports Café (Sports Centre) - tap is behind counter, ask staff who will happily fill water bottle for you
- Dolche Vita (Keynes College) – designated water tap in dining area
- Gulbenkian - ask staff who will happilly fill water bottle for you
If you would like to add a water station to this list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org