Mrs Allia Wilson
Student Learning Advisory Service
- 01227 827124 Canterbury/01634 888883
Allia Wilson has worked in education for the last 40 years, in a variety of areas and roles: from special needs, to primary, to secondary, to higher education.
Over the last 40 years, Allia has accumulated a vast amount of knowledge and varied experience, not only professionally, but also personally, which together with her linguistic capabilities, as a native speaker of English, French and Arabic, has enhanced her performance in the field of education.
As manager of the Student Learning Advisory Service on both the Canterbury and Medway campuses, Allia sees her role as a collaborative one: working in partnership with her team and all the constituencies of the University. Nurturing, empowering and inspiring are key elements of her academic advising philosophy and her leadership style. She sees academic advising as a developmental and intentional activity where the emphasis of an advisor’s role centers on providing students with a safe haven where each student's growth and potential is cared and catered for, and on helping students develop life-long and independent learning skills.
Role and responsibilities:
Allia aims to support and maintain a cohesive and efficient SLAS team, as well as explore further opportunities for growth and development.
- Team management and management of initiatives on both the Canterbury and Medway campuses
- Strategic management of Student Learning Support activities including overseeing the Retention Initiatives on the Canterbury and Medway campuses such as VALUE classic, Value PLus, VALUE MaP and ValueGrad - which includes Creative Language Development (CLD), Programme for International Postgraduates (PIP), Summer Skills Forum (SSF), Writing Retreats (WR) and Post Graduate cafes.
- Strategic development of new initiatives in Student Learning Support such as the Academic Peer Mentoring scheme, the maths and stats clinics, the Writing Well workshops and specific programmes for international students
- Collaboration, integration and embedding of study skills in core modules: the Advantage Initiative
- Coordination: Teaching and guidance.
- Senior Tutor (UELT undergraduate activities)
- Liaison, consultation and partnerships with APT, CD, and Q&A teams in UELT
- Liaison, consultation and partnerships with all constituencies of the University
- Liaison, consultation and partnerships with student academic support services at Kent, Christ Church and Greenwich Universities