UCU recently announced that some universities will be taking strike days from Monday 25 - Friday 29 September. Please note this is now not taking place at Kent so your lectures and seminars for Week 1 will be going ahead as planned.
Background to the strikes
The University and College Union is the largest teaching union at universities across the country. After a recent ballot of their members, they are taking industrial action over concerns around pay, pensions and working conditions.
This is a country-wide dispute shaped by decisions around pay and pensions taken at national level - this means that as an individual institution, we have limited influence over the issues under dispute.
That said, all of us want to work in a sector where staff are well-rewarded for their hard work and we want to do all we can to have a positive working environment for all.
Our commitment to you throughout
Whatever happens, we will do all we can to ensure you have the best possible experience at Kent:
- We will do all we can to mitigate any impact on your studies
- We will never devalue your degree or coursework
- We will refund you for any direct expenses you incur as a result of industrial action
- Any staff salaries saved as a result of strike days will be reinvested in your student experience
- We will be open and transparent with you throughout
If you have any questions regarding industrial action, you can email email@example.com