Work off campus (Kent VPN service)
Access files and IT services on the Kent network from off campus using the VPN (Virtual Private Network). VPN works from off campus only. The VPN is for your use only - don't let others use your connection.
Register for VPN access
- Register to use the VPN
- Visitors/contractors can ask for VPN access: send us your IT Account username
Set up your VPN connection
Virgin Media SuperHub users
Before connecting to the Kent VPN you need to log in to your router:
- Go to http://192.168.0.1 and enter your username and password for the router. It should be written on the router somewhere.
- Select Advanced Settings.
- In the Firewall section tick the box next to PPTP Pass-Through.
- If you haven't done it yet, set up your connection on your device. Once done you should be able to connect.
- Search for FortiClient in the Windows store and select Get. This will download and install FortiClient.
- Now go to Settings then Network and Internet and select VPN.
- Select Add a VPN connection.
- Enter the following details in the boxes: and click Save:
- VPN Provider: FortiClient
- Connection name: Kent VPN
- Server name address: vega.kent.ac.uk
To connect to the VPN:
- Got to Settings then Network and Internet and select VPN.
- Click the Kent VPN connection you just created and select Connect.
- To log in enter your Kent IT Account username in this format: abc1
Windows 8 and Windows 7
- Download FortiClient (Windows version) from their website.
- Run the file. Say yes to any UAC prompts that come up.
- Accept the License Agreement and click Next.
- Select Secure Remote Access (selected by default) and click Next. Do not select the other options.
- Accept the Default destination folder and click Next.
- Click Install.
- Click Finish.
- Open the FortiClient Console from the program menu or the icon in the system tray (next to the clock), click on Remote Access.
- Click on Configure VPN.
- Enter a meaningful Connection Name and Description.
- In the Remote Gateway box, enter vega.kent.ac.uk
- Choose Prompt on login under authentication
- Click Apply then Close.
The VPN is now set up and ready to use.
To connect to the VPN use the FortiClient console: click Remote Access and enter your Kent IT Account username and password.
Install FortiClient for Mac
Please do not skip step 6
- Download FortiClient from www.forticlient.com and open the file named forticlientonlineinstaller.dmg
- Double click FortiClientUpdate (and click Open if asked). The FortiClient installer will be downloaded.
- When the progress bar is full click Install. If it says 'failed to connect', click Cancel and return to step 2.
- Click Continue then Continue then Agree to the licence confirmation.
- If asked select Install for all users of this computer then Continue.
- Click Customize then untick Other components .
- Click Install at the bottom right of the window – you might be asked for your macOS password.
- You should see Installation complete. Click Close.
- Open FortiClient from either Applications (within Finder), search in the Spotlight box or click the black sheild (in the menu at the top of your screen).
- Click Remote Access on the left menu
- Click the cog/gear icon next to VPN Name
- Click Add new connection
- Enter these settings
- VPN Type: SSL VPN
- Connection name: Kent VPN
- Description: Kent VPN
- Remote Gateway: vega.kent.ac.uk
- Leave 'Customize port' unticked
- Client Certificate: none
- Leave 'Save login' ticked next to Authentication
- Type your Kent username into 'Username' field, for example abc123
- Click Add.
Did you install the Anti-Virus component?
Step 6 of the installation instructions explained how to not install the web filtering and anti-virus components, if you missed that step then you can complete the following to disable them.
- Open FortClient, click AntiVirus on the left menu, click the cog/gear icon next to the word Status
- Untick scan files as they are downloaded or copied to my system
- Untick block all accesses to malicious websites, click done
- Click web security on the left hand panel
- Click disable next to web security enabled
Connect to the Kent VPN
- Click the black shield icon (in the menu in the top right of your screen)
- Click Connect to the Kent VPN
- Enter your Kent IT Account username and password and click Connect.
Disconnect from the Kent VPN
- Click the black shield icon (in the menu along the top of your screen)
- Click Disconnect from Kent VPN.
iPhone and iPad
Install FortiClient for iOS
- Install FortiClient from the App store
- Run the FortiClient App.
- Allow the App to create VPN configurations on your device.
- In the FortiClient VPN window choose select connection then choose Add Configuration.
- Fill in the following details and select Done when finished:
Name: Kent VPN (FortiClient)
User: leave blank
Password: leave blank
To connect to the VPN
- Go to the FortiClient App
- Move the slider next to VPN to on
- Enter your Kent IT Account username and password when asked.
- If you see a permissions error, make sure 'auto correct' isn't changing your username.
- Install the FortiClient VPN app from the Google play store.
- Open the app and tap Allow for the required permissions.
- Under VPN name put Kent VPN.
- Select VPN type SSL VPN.
- Tap Create.
- Tap Server, enter ‘vega.kent.ac.uk’ and tap OK.
- Tap the back arrow at the top of the page to get to the connection page.
- Tap Connect and enter your Kent username (eg. abc12) and password.
- Tap OK on the connection request.
- You should now be connected to the VPN.
To disconnect or reconnect to the VPN use the FortiClient VPN app. Find it in Settings > Wireless & Networks > VPN
- Download FortiClient for Linux setup file (tar archive)
- Via the file explorer, right-click on the file and extract its files. Open the folder that matches the architecture of your Linux distribution and run ‘forticlientsslvpn’
- Or Via Linux Terminal, go to the folder where the file has been downloaded and extract it with tar –xvf forticlientsslvpn_linux<version>.tar.gz
- If you would prefer to use the command line interface, you can find CLI versions of FortiClient under the specific 32 or 64 bit folders.
Configuration of the GUI FortiClient SSLVPN
- Run ./fortisslvpn.sh as root
- Create a profile for the Kent VPN by clicking on Settings, then on the + under Connection Profiles.
- Enter the following details:
- Name: Kent SSL VPN
- Server: vega.kent.ac.uk
- Port: 443
- Username: Kent username only
- Password: Kent password
- Leave Certificate and the password field below it blank
Configuration of the CLI FortiClient SSLVPN
Run ./forticlientsslvpn_cli as root with the following settings:
- ./forticlientsslvpn_cli --server 188.8.131.52:443 --vpnuser <Kent username>
- Press Enter and FortiClient will request the password for the username.
- If the connection is successful, a STATUS::Connected message will be displayed, otherwise if the password is incorrect, error ‘SSLVPN down unexpectedly with error:2’ will appear.
- The VPN tunnel will remain active as long as the terminal window is open. To terminate the connection, press Control + C.
Is your connection is secure?
You should see a padlock symbol in your browser's address bar which you can click for more details.
Secure Shell (SSH) connections
How to access your files and folders
Before you can view your files and folders, you'll need to:
- find out where your files live on the Kent network, such as: \\servername.kent.ac.uk\foldername
- then set-up access to your files
- EDA students - advice on accessing your files: EDA student FAQ
VPN activity is your responsibility
When using the VPN remember that your device is on the Kent network and you are responsible for all activity.
Disconnect from Kent as soon as you are finished: do not browse the web using this connection, it will be slow and slows down the Kent network.