Professor Frank Zhigang Wang
Five years after his PhD degree, Frank was promoted to a full professorship at the Cambridge Cranfield High Performance Computing Facility in 2004. He became the Head of School of Computing at the University of Kent in 2010. So far, he has attracted research grants from the EC/UK government/industries that total £5m. He served as a panel member for the UK government EPSRC "e-Science" and "Hardware for Efficient Computing" programmes. Frank is a Fellow of British Computer Society (BCS). Frank is currently the Chairman of the UK and Ireland Chapter, IEEE Computer Society.
Frank belongs to the following research groups:
Current Research Interests
- Brain-like Computer
- New Electronics & Memristor
- Cloud Computing & Big Data
- Deep Learning & AI2.0
- Neuromorphic Computing
- Data Science
- Green Computing
MSc System Architecture
BSc Year-in-Computing Project
PhD Scholarships & Applications
The School of Computing offers PhD Scholarships. If you are interested in applying for a PhD Scholarship with me, please email Frank. Frank can supervise PhD studies in the following fields:
- Brain-like Computer (My typical papers: Adaptive Neuromorphic Architecture, Memristor Neural Networks, Real Memristor Found)
- Deep Learning & AI2.0 (My Keynote at Cambridge: Brain and Brain-Inspired Artificial Intelligence)
- Cloud Computing & Big Data [My typical papers: Entropy-Based Cloud, Multi-Dimensional Cloud Computing, Grid-Oriented Storage (IEEE Transaction on Computer)]
- Neuromorphic Computing (My typical papers: Adaptive Neuromorphic Architecture, Real Memristor Found)
- Data Science (My Keynote at Cambridge: Computing for Big Science)
- Memristor & New Electronics (My typical papers: Real Memristor Found, Fractional Memristor, Triangular Table of Circuit Elements)
- Green Computing (My typical papers: Memory Deduplication)
Recent Academic Activities
- EPSRC panel member, Hardware for Efficient Computing
- Keynote speech, “Future Computing & Minds”, The 2021 14th International Conference on Security of Information and Networks (SIN) - #54109, 17-Dec-21, Edinburgh.
- Seminar, “Breaking the Landauer Bound: From infinity to 6”, Canterbury, 11th October 2021.
- IEEE Computer Society All Chapters Webinar, hosted by Bill Gropp (Computer Society President), Andre Oboler (Computer Society Vice President for MGA), & David Bondurant (Chair of the Geographic Activities Committee), 9:30 am EST, 9th February 2022.
- Invited talk “IEEE Student Membership & Future Computing”, Department of Computer Science and Digital Technologies, School of Architecture, Computing and Engineering, University of East London, 9th March 2022.
- Scientific Board Member, Global Conference on Nano Electronics and Advanced Computer Applications, Luxembourg, 16-17 November 2020
- Program Chair, 2020 Communication Technologies and Cloud Computing Conference, Cambridge, March 19-22, 2020
- AI Session Chair, The 4th IEEE UK & Ireland RAS conference at the University of Manchester, 22nd Jan 2020
- Co-Chair of the Expert Panel of the International Collegiate Competition for Brain-Inspired Computing, Beijing, 13-14th October 2018
- Programme Co-Chair, International Conference on Frontiers and Advances in Analytics and Data Science (FAADS), Xian, 23-25 October, 2017
- Chairman of 8th International Conference on Next Generation Mobile Apps, Services and Technologies, Oxford, 10-12 September, 2014
- General Co-Chair of International Conference on Cloud and Service Computing, Shanghai, 2012
- Program Vice-Chair of IEEE 11th International Conference on Computational Science and Engineering, São Paulo, 2008
- Program Vice-Chair of IEEE Conference on Networking, Architecture and Storage, Guilin, 2007
- Programme Chair of IEEE Conference on Scalable Information Systems, Hong Kong, 2006
- Keynote, “How will Cloud Computing/Big Data evolve over the next 10 years?”, IEEE 4th International Conference on Big Data & Cloud Computing, Sydney, Australia, 3rd-5th December 2014
- Invited talk “Computing Research in UKRI”, IEEE Networking Event focused on Research Collaboration with Africa, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 28 October 2014.
- Keynote Speaker, The CICT First Annual Global Online Conference, 3-5 December 2014, USA
- Keynote Speech, “Towards 2020 Computing”, IEEE Conference on Computational Intelligence, Communication Systems and Networks, 26-28 July, 2011, Indonesia
- Keynote Speech, “Towards 2020 Data Storage”, National Information Storage Symposium, Guangzhou, China, 4-6 December 2010
- Keynote Speech, “Towards 2020 Computing”, IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Communication Networks, India, 28 November, 2010
- Keynote Speech, Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services and Technologies (NGMAST 2010), Amman, Jordan, 26-29 July 2010
- Invited talk: Computer Chapter in UKRI, IEEE R8 Chapter Chairs Conference and Leadership Joint Workshop, South Africa, 4 June, 2010.
- Invited Talk, National Philippines University, 1 June 2010
- Keynote Speech, 4th Asia International Conference on Mathematical Modelling & Computer Simulation, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, 26-28 May 2010
- Industrial experience at IBM UK