Five years after my PhD degree, I was promoted to a full professorship at the Cambridge Cranfield High Performance Computing Facility in 2004. I became the Head of School of Computing at the University of Kent in 2010. So far, I have attracted research grants from the EC/UK government/industries that total £5m. I served as a panel member for the UK government EPSRC "e-Science" and "Hardware for Efficient Computing" programmes. I am a Fellow of British Computer Society (BCS). I am currently the Chairman of the UK and Ireland Chapter, IEEE Computer Society.
I belong to the following research groups:
My Current Research Interests
- Brain-like Computer
- New Electronics & Memristor
- Cloud Computing & Big Data
- Deep Learning & AI2.0
- Neuromorphic Computing
- Data Science
- Green Computing
MSc System Architecture (COMP8830)
MSc Project (COMP8800)
BSc e-Commerce (COMP6390)
BSc Project (COMP6000)
BSc Year-in-Computing Project (COMP5800)
PhD Scholarships & Applications
The School of Computing offers PhD Scholarships. If you are interested in applying for a PhD Scholarship with me, please email me. Technically, I can supervise PhD studies in the following fields:
Recent Academic Activities
- EPSRC panel member, Hardware for Efficient Computing
- Keynote speech, “Future Computing & Minds”, The 2021 14th International Conference on Security of Information and Networks (SIN) - #54109, 17-Dec-21, Edinburgh.
- Seminar, “Breaking the Landauer Bound: From infinity to 6”, Canterbury, 11th October 2021.
- IEEE Computer Society All Chapters Webinar, hosted by Bill Gropp (Computer Society President), Andre Oboler (Computer Society Vice President for MGA), & David Bondurant (Chair of the Geographic Activities Committee), 9:30 am EST, 9th February 2022.
- Invited talk “IEEE Student Membership & Future Computing”, Department of Computer Science and Digital Technologies, School of Architecture, Computing and Engineering, University of East London, 9th March 2022.
- Scientific Board Member, Global Conference on Nano Electronics and Advanced Computer Applications, Luxembourg, 16-17 November 2020
- Program Chair, 2020 Communication Technologies and Cloud Computing Conference, Cambridge, March 19-22, 2020
- AI Session Chair, The 4th IEEE UK & Ireland RAS conference at the University of Manchester, 22nd Jan 2020
- Co-Chair of the Expert Panel of the International Collegiate Competition for Brain-Inspired Computing, Beijing, 13-14th October 2018
- Programme Co-Chair, International Conference on Frontiers and Advances in Analytics and Data Science (FAADS), Xian, 23-25 October, 2017
- Chairman of 8th International Conference on Next Generation Mobile Apps, Services and Technologies, Oxford, 10-12 September, 2014
- General Co-Chair of International Conference on Cloud and Service Computing, Shanghai, 2012
- Program Vice-Chair of IEEE 11th International Conference on Computational Science and Engineering, São Paulo, 2008
- Program Vice-Chair of IEEE Conference on Networking, Architecture and Storage, Guilin, 2007
- Programme Chair of IEEE Conference on Scalable Information Systems, Hong Kong, 2006
- Keynote, “How will Cloud Computing/Big Data evolve over the next 10 years?”, IEEE 4th International Conference on Big Data & Cloud Computing, Sydney, Australia, 3rd-5th December 2014
- Invited talk “Computing Research in UKRI”, IEEE Networking Event focused on Research Collaboration with Africa, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 28 October 2014.
- Keynote Speaker, The CICT First Annual Global Online Conference, 3-5 December 2014, USA
- Keynote Speech, “Towards 2020 Computing”, IEEE Conference on Computational Intelligence, Communication Systems and Networks, 26-28 July, 2011, Indonesia
- Keynote Speech, “Towards 2020 Data Storage”, National Information Storage Symposium, Guangzhou, China, 4-6 December 2010
- Keynote Speech, “Towards 2020 Computing”, IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Communication Networks, India, 28 November, 2010
- Keynote Speech, Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services and Technologies (NGMAST 2010), Amman, Jordan, 26-29 July 2010
- Invited talk: Computer Chapter in UKRI, IEEE R8 Chapter Chairs Conference and Leadership Joint Workshop, South Africa, 4 June, 2010.
- Invited Talk, National Philippines University, 1 June 2010
- Keynote Speech, 4th Asia International Conference on Mathematical Modelling & Computer Simulation, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, 26-28 May 2010
- Industrial experience at IBM UK