The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Institutional Strategic Plan, 2012-15
The University of Kent has a distinctive mission. We are the UK’s European university with an international reputation in which Europe meets the world.
We are a leading research-intensive UK university creating a global student and staff community that advances knowledge and stimulates intellectual creativity, and performs at the highest levels.
We believe in the unity of research and teaching, in the freedom and responsibility that staff have to question and test received wisdom, in the transforming power of higher education, in acting with integrity, and the value of an inclusive and diverse university community.
We are committed to growing, shaping and supporting the regions in which we operate so that we may have a positive impact.
In 2012-15 we will:
Proactively develop distinctive attributes that others seek to emulate
- Our inspiring and distinctive education that prepares our students to make a positive contribution to help shape a better world
- Our innovative and world-leading research
- Our positive impact regionally, nationally, and especially internationally.
Promote diversity and inclusivity in the University community
- Encourage, recognise and celebrate success
- Encourage diversity; promote equality of opportunity
- Prepare all students for a future that is improved and enriched by having been to the University
- Maximise cultural and developmental opportunities for all our students and staff.
Work with partners in whom we have confidence for mutual benefit
- Internally, to create a sense of an inclusive community within the University, achieving cross-institutional engagement and developing a global community
- Locally, to promote employment opportunities and act in a socially responsible way
- Nationally, to form alliances with other leading higher education institutions and outside the HE sector
- Internationally, to form alliances with other leading higher education institutions in multi-layered strategic associations.